Scrub walls on plaster pool to lower CYA.....

Phil O

Apr 22, 2016
Eagle, ID
My cyanuric acid reading was very high this opening. Was advised to drain and refill (3/4 drain anyway) to dilute the CYA. First reading after refill was acceptable (60) so I brought all other things into balance. Second reading after refill was very high (130) and third reading 2 days later was off the charts again. After lots of checking with others, it was suggested that I need to brush the walls and flush with water continually when draining the pool. Apparently the CYA will attack to the plaster and reintroduce itself when the pool is refilled. Anyone have experience with this? I am about to go about it again and want to get the best result possible as water is quite spendy. Pool is 25,000 gal., inground concrete/plaster, 15x30.

Thanks,
Phil

I've never heard of such. Even if it did a tiny bit, it certainly wouldn't double the reading as it is thoroughly mixed in with the pool water. There is no CYA in tap water btw. Pool stores are notorious for their BAD testing of CYA in particular. Do you have one of our recommended test kits, or how was this tested? Welcome to the forum.

I've never heard of such. Even if it did a tiny bit, it certainly wouldn't double the reading as it is thoroughly mixed in with the pool water. There is no CYA in tap water btw. Pool stores are notorious for their BAD testing of CYA in particular. Do you have one of our recommended test kits, or how was this tested? Welcome to the forum.

The pool store tested the water with an electronic test unit and verified with test strips. I've been dealing with these guys for 15 years without any issues. I don't have one of the test kits your mention. Which kit in particular would you recommend?

That should tell you how sure they are of their "electronic " testing that they would even consider verifying by using an even less reliable test strip. Get the TF-100 and don't look back.

To us that sort of sounds like predicting the weather by observing tree leaves and confirming with a magic 8 ball, the first may have some basis in science, the second much less so. While there are some electronic test systems that may provide meaningful test results the key to any of them is proper operation and calibration, a thing that is often poorly lacking in pool stores often operated by seasonal employees.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.