Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Scrub walls on plaster pool to lower CYA.....

1. Back To Top    #1

Scrub walls on plaster pool to lower CYA.....

My cyanuric acid reading was very high this opening. Was advised to drain and refill (3/4 drain anyway) to dilute the CYA. First reading after refill was acceptable (60) so I brought all other things into balance. Second reading after refill was very high (130) and third reading 2 days later was off the charts again. After lots of checking with others, it was suggested that I need to brush the walls and flush with water continually when draining the pool. Apparently the CYA will attack to the plaster and reintroduce itself when the pool is refilled. Anyone have experience with this? I am about to go about it again and want to get the best result possible as water is quite spendy. Pool is 25,000 gal., inground concrete/plaster, 15x30.

Thanks,
    Phil

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Scrub walls on plaster pool to lower CYA.....

I've never heard of such. Even if it did a tiny bit, it certainly wouldn't double the reading as it is thoroughly mixed in with the pool water. There is no CYA in tap water btw. Pool stores are notorious for their BAD testing of CYA in particular. Do you have one of our recommended test kits, or how was this tested? Welcome to the forum.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have heard people make the claim that cyanuric attaches to plaster but I'm doubtful that it actually happens to any large degree.

With high levels of CYA, the acid actually leaves the water and attaches itself to the plaster.
    Acid Watch| Pool Spa News | Bond Financing, Water, Water Conservation, Water Quality, Chemicals, Arch Chemicals.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    I've never heard of such. Even if it did a tiny bit, it certainly wouldn't double the reading as it is thoroughly mixed in with the pool water. There is no CYA in tap water btw. Pool stores are notorious for their BAD testing of CYA in particular. Do you have one of our recommended test kits, or how was this tested? Welcome to the forum.
    The pool store tested the water with an electronic test unit and verified with test strips. I've been dealing with these guys for 15 years without any issues. I don't have one of the test kits your mention. Which kit in particular would you recommend?

5. Back To Top    #5

That should tell you how sure they are of their "electronic " testing that they would even consider verifying by using an even less reliable test strip. Get the TF-100 and don't look back.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

The TF100 kit is the preferred kit. See link in my signature.

Also, if they were giving you good advice, your cyanuric acid level wouldn't be so high.

7. Back To Top    #7

To us that sort of sounds like predicting the weather by observing tree leaves and confirming with a magic 8 ball, the first may have some basis in science, the second much less so. While there are some electronic test systems that may provide meaningful test results the key to any of them is proper operation and calibration, a thing that is often poorly lacking in pool stores often operated by seasonal employees.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

Phil, are you sure about your volume calculation?
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Helen203 View Post
    Phil, are you sure about your volume calculation?
    Pool is 25K+-. I am only able to drain 2/3 - 3/4 due to water table. I am redoing and hope dilution does the trick. Repeat if necessary.