Well, I didn't listen (kind of), and now I'm regretting it. Stains from Bio-Dex 300?

Rootyb

Feb 24, 2015
Davis, CA
I posted recently about calcium scale. It was recommended that I try getting it off with muriatic acid and a scrubber. I did that, and it actually got off a significant portion, but was kind of a pain, so I tried the bio-dex 300 my pool guy left for me. It is basically a few different acids and some thickening agents to keep it in place.

It worked really well, actually, but some settled in a few spots on my pebble tec (mostly on the shelf, where the pool is shallower), and darkened the plaster between the rocks in those spots before I noticed it had settled. I brushed all the sides immediately when I noticed the first spots to prevent more, but there are still a few.

The darkness looks basically like the plaster did when it was first put in, before it had fully cured. I'm assuming the BD300 ate away some/most of the calcium in those spot, but I'm not sure.

My question is, what can I do? If I had to guess, I'd guess that they're going to fade on their own with time, as the plaster did originally, but do I have other options? My pool guy saw and seemed surprised. He said that an acid wash on the top step should blend it in. I've also emailed Bio-Dex to see if they have any ideas.

I've googled, but haven't found anyone else reporting this. Mostly just ads/pages selling bio see.

Thanks for any advice. I promise I'll listen this time.

Looks like you removed the plaster creme from around the pebble aggregate. I would not mess with it anymore. The plaster is darker there and it should lighten up with age. Acid washing is going to remove even more plaster and could make the problem worse.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Is it just darker because the plaster under the top surface is darker?

/edit: Also, would a high chlorine level speed up the lightening at all? Like, a chlorine wash?

I'm definitely going to err on the side of "not screwing with it", but if you think that's something that might help with little risk of making it worse, I'd be willing to try it. If it has the potential of bleaching out the other plaster, leaving me with two kinds of discoloration, I'll pass and just tell my wife to be patient. With me and the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.