Intex vs Bestway vs Coleman quality? + fittings interchange?

Jul 11, 2015
West Richland, WA
Hello,

Finally going from lurking and learning to posting. Sincere thanks for all I have learned here, very very helpful.

After a few inflated ring Intex pools as our little one grows up, we are going to make the next step to a 9x18.
I already have an Intex sand filter and SWG so what comes with the 9x18 is not an issue.

I have read many threads about Intex fittings being non standard and converting to hard plumbing or standard pumps, etc.

My questions are mainly the quality differences between Intex, Bestway, and Coleman.
I was going to stay with Intex but Costco has switched to Bestway this year.
Are all the threads & fittings the same to hook up my Intex filter & SWG?

The 48" deep Bestway at Costco is by far the best price and the depth is better for our son than 52" Intex.
My main concern is the quality of the Bestway vs Intex? The BW filter looks pretty cheesy compared to Intex but I have that covered. Just wondering if the frame and liner are also cheesy in comparison?

Do SWG really rust out the frames noticeably faster than normal? They are sure nice compared to the chlorine hassle.

Again, sincere thanks for all the experienced folks who contribute here. Rest assured you help prevent a lot of headaches!

Dave

The quality of the liner and poles are about the same if not the same. The fittings I am not sure about on the best way pool. There are a few forums about rusting on the intex pools but allot of people who I am sure will respond soon use the SWG with not problem. If you are concerned about the depth of the water, you can read my build in my signature, which you will see I had similar concerns and built a simple cheap adaptor so that I could lower the water and not have a PH problem because of aeration.

That's how we did it, a couple of inflatable ring tops then a couple of bigger Intex pools and now an inground pool. I'm pretty sure they are all just about the same quality. Get whichever is the best deal, you know you're gonna get a bigger one pretty soon anyway! :) I would definitely go with SWG, all of our pools have been SWG. I would also upgrade to an Intex sand filter.

Welcome to TFP! Thanks for the kind words about the forum.

Thank you both for the replies.
Going to go with the Bestway from Costco because it's $150 less than the best price I can find on an Intex Ultra frame.
I will definitely be running my existing Intex sand filter and SWG.
Still wondering if the Intex and Bestway fittings are both 40mm with same thread pitch for compatibility?
Also what can you put on the top rail tubes to keep the vinyl from sticking so badly?
I think I saw someone suggest Vaseline but with our sandstorms of blowing dust here in the WA desert, that would just make dirty grinding compound ;-(
What about talc or corn starch or similar? Anything better?
Thanks again, Dave

We purchased a Coleman this year to replace our Intex (saw on here that they were basically interchangeable) so I hope they are the same fittings or else hubby will have to add that to the list of things he'll have to fix! We have used a SWG for several years (are on our second one) and rust on the poles is the reason why we are purchasing a new one this year...several of our poles rusted through over the winter. I think this time we will use some rubber spray paint at the joints to see if that will help.

HHi, everyone I'm New hear.I've been trying to do some research on the best above ground pool to get. I'm torn between Coleman intex and best way for a reasonable price. I'm also wondering what does SWG mean, I see it in all of your guys comments. Does anybody have any advice on what the best brand would be for a first time pool? I'm so scared to get one because every time I look at the reviews for pools. They say that the liners are leaking or something's wrong with it. And that's a big problem to have, especially when you're gonna put 3 to 5000 gallons of water in it. And? Your bill goes up and to have to empty all that and start over.I'm not trying to do that . And also i hear about pumps being to small for pool. Any advice will be helpful