New "old" above ground 16x32x54" pool install filter/plumbing questions.

Jun 19, 2015
Clinton, MO
New "old" above ground 16x32x54" pool install filter/plumbing questions.

I just acquired a 16x32 oval pool that I am getting ready to set up at our new home. I am burying this pool about 18 inches. I would like to put in floor drains as well as the skimmer (possibly 2) on the pool when I install it. I am looking at filter systems for the pool right now, and its a tossup between a cartridge filter or a DE filter. The DE filter that I can get is a Sta-Rite system 3 S8D110, with a filtration area of 53 sq ft. Here is the link to the specs of the filter: http://www.pentairpool.com/products/filters-de-system-3-de-filters-sd-series-170.htm. I have been researching cartridge filters as well, and the do interest me as well. Anyway, as far as bottom drains, I was looking at putting one somewhere around 6-8 ft from each end of the pool, and the skimmer in the center area. Would it be better to put on drain in the center, or not have a floor drain installed? Also, Which filter would would you recommend? I know sand is the old tried and true, but I have no interest in using a sand filter. Thanks for all the help, William

Re: New "old" above ground 16x32x54" pool install filter/plumbing questions.

Hi thumper!

On the main drain......I was SO excited to have a main drain in my pool......Oh I will just have to keep the return pointed so all of the dirt and such goes towards the main drain in the center of my pool. My installer even sloped the floor to aid in that.

:( It does not work as I had hoped. There is very little pull even when I put something right over it. Most of my pump pull goes to the skimmer even when I adjust the valves. BUT the one good thing to having a mine drain is it DOES help circulate the water.

Kim :cat:

I would just get one drain, it will have 2 covers. I use my drain like a dust pan. I put all suction to the drain and brush toward the drain. Works great, I have never vacuumed the pool, don't even own one.

Thanks for the input. I was also considering using an expandable liner when I set this pool up. My kids run in age from 1yr to 14 yrs old, so I am trying to make it pleasurable for all of them. What are your thoughts on the expandable liners? A good idea or should I stick with a regular liner? Thanks again everyone.

Ok, and here is another thought that I have been discussing with the wife. I would like to bury this pool. I know that I will need a below ground pool pump and filter in order to do this, which is not an issue. What are the thoughts on this?

If you are going to partially bury the pool treat the walls and rails that will be buried with some rust inhibitor. Since your plan is to bury about 18" deep you could still use an above ground pool pump as long as the pump is below the level of the skimmer.

I wouldn't even mess with main drains. The more cuts you make on a liner, the more leaks you will potentially have to address and above ground pools do not need main drains. Even in ground pools run perfectly fine with blocked off main drains. It's a waste of time and money imo.

Ok, so my pool is a doughboy. I have seen that many doughboy pools can be buried most of the way. I also like the idea of the expandable liner that they have. Does anyone have any pros/cons to the liner? Wife really likes the idea of a deep end in the pool. thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.