Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First open - is it normal to lose TA and lower Ph over the winter?

1. Back To Top    #1

First open - is it normal to lose TA and lower Ph over the winter?

I had the my pool builder open the pool for me yesterday. I grabbed a sample of water as soon as the cover was off. I was surprised that my TA was at 20 and that my Ph was at 7.0. When it was closed last October, the TA was around 100 and my Ph was very stable all summer around 7.8. The pool was closed with a safety cover that lets melted precipitation through. I drained water a couple of times over the winter. Perhaps 6 to 8 inches of 2 different episodes.

Obviously, I'm going to work on bring the levels back to the appropriate range, but I was just curious if this is a normal occurrence for a closed pool.
    18x36, 21,000 gallon, in-ground, vinyl, Pentair SWG, DE filter, Pentair 250K Heater, Taylor K-2006, Dolphin Triton

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First open - is it normal to lose TA and lower Ph over the winter?

Yes, it's normal. Rain and snow will dilute things. Also, how long did you let the water mix with the pump on?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I didn't have the pump on yet at the time I collected the sample. It's been running now for 24 hrs. I guess that I should sample again before I start adding chems, huh?

4. Back To Top    #4

"I didn't have the pump on yet at the time I collected the sample. It's been running now for 24 hrs. I guess that I should sample again before I start adding chems, huh? "

Absolutely! That's a must!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Results after letting the pump run for a day were better. Ph was 7.2 and TA was a more expected 80. I hadn't run a CYA test the day before. I ran that test yesterday and came in at < 30. I had expected that with the winter dilution so I already have a supply of CYA granules on hand ready to go in.
    18x36, 21,000 gallon, in-ground, vinyl, Pentair SWG, DE filter, Pentair 250K Heater, Taylor K-2006, Dolphin Triton