Loxahatchee, FL

Pool stain identification

Good morning!

Here are my water test results from yesterday:

FC 4.5
    CC 0.5
    CH 675
    TA 210

I also just purchased the speed stirrer so I can't wait for that!

I have some stains on the plaster and I was hoping someone could help me identify and hopefully fix.

The one on the top is dark, almost green in color and the one on the bottom I think might be calcium.
    dark stain.jpgwhite stain.jpg

Any idea on how I can get rid of these?
    18500 gallon oval pool. Filter: Hayward cartridge filter. Model: C12002. Pump: Hayward 1 speed (I think) 1.5hp Max-Flo XL Pump. Model: C48D43AO4. TFT100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Pool stain identification

Good morning. I didn't see your pH reading above, but here are some basic rules for ID'ing stains:
    - Hold a chlorine tablet against the stain; if it goes away, it is organic (i.e. algae); SLAM pool and scrub that area
    - Hold crushed vitamin C tabs in a sock against stain; if it goes away, it is iron; requires a sequestrant to manage metals in the pool; very bad pool s might require an acid wash
    - If vitamin C tabs make a spot get worse, it's copper; a sock full of dry acid may help; or a plaster acid wash for bad areas
    - Calcium stains generally occur because of high CH, coupled with high pH and TA; best removed by adjust CSI levels (lower) and scrubbing the effected area

Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Pool stain identification

This also seems to be a handy tool for stain ID for 10 bucks, Jacks Magic Stain Identification Kit JMSTAINID at Sunplay

Here is more info on Diagnosing Pool Plaster Problems
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach