Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No cya at all

1. Back To Top    #1

No cya at all

Hi guys,

I opened my pool this april and it was pretty green ,i followed "all" the instructions(did not used liquid chlorine,i used Cal hypo for the slam procces) in this forum and i had amazing results!! (crystal clear)
    but there is something that worries me ,it is the CYA ,ive been testing the whole month and i have not readings at all ,i know its been cold here in GA but today it was pretty warm 70s and still not Cya readings (i can still see the dark dot when i do the test)

i bougth

Any suggestions what should be the next step ? Some stabilizer ?

water temp 70*
    ph - 7.8
    Ta - 100
    Ch- 160
    CYA -Unknow
    Vinyl Pool
    28000 gallons

Regards David
    28k gal 18x36 /Vinyl/In Ground / Hayward Max-flo vs sp2302vsp /Hayward DE 4820 Pro Grid

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No cya at all

Welcome to TFP!!

Let the water sample rise to room temperature before you test for CYA. If it clear to the top, then yes add stabilizer per Pool Math to get to at least 30 for now.

You don't list what your FC level is, so how is the chlorine level?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for reply that fast

Fc 5.5

I just took a sample of water this morning ,iam going to wait until it gets to the room temperature and then i will add the cya to see what happens.
    28k gal 18x36 /Vinyl/In Ground / Hayward Max-flo vs sp2302vsp /Hayward DE 4820 Pro Grid

4. Back To Top    #4

I have to add CYA every spring. We are close in part of world. We get a lot of rain which cause water turn over. It is just a part of our pool life..........I check my CYA monthly and top off as needed.

You are on the right track!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

it is the CYA ,ive been testing the whole month and i have not readings at all
    You have no CYA. The cold has some effect but not enough for existing CYA not to register.

I would calculate a dosage to get to 40 ppm and then put it in your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Well ,i just wanted to say thank you all for the advice,finally i have my CYA readings and the pool looks great and pretty balance.
    FC 3
    CC 0
    PH 7.6
    TA 100
    CYA 30
    CH 180

2015-08-17 19.31.07.jpg

2016-04-19 16.28.50.jpg

7. Back To Top    #7

Holly smokes what a transformation! Outstanding. Right down to re-doing the fence. Happy pup too. One heck of an Extreme Makeover - TFP Edition.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!