Pumice OK on pool plaster?

May 14, 2015
New Orleans, LA
I'll keep this simple, since I couldn't find a direct answer anywhere else on the site:

Is it OK to use a pumice stone to clean a plaster pool surface? Not tile, grout, coping - but the actual plaster surface of the pool.

The long version:
Almost 2 year old pool. Builders back-filled our lot with crappy, sandy soil. Wind blows sand into pool and it settles on the surface and sits there, and is a huge pain to remove. It won't come off for the Polaris, regular vacuuming, or brushing with a nylon brush. Pumice stone takes it right off. It's definitely sand - I've gotten up close and personal with it - and it looks like it just settles into the microscopic holes in the plaster. I know there shouldn't be any holes or roughness to the plaster, but thats another story entirely.

Thanks in advance!
Chelsea

It's fine to do it, but it makes a huge mess with all the pumice dust settling on the floor. And the blocks don't last very long.
Drywall sanding screen has the same problems.

Thanks! I have experience with that mess from pumicing our waterline tiles last summer. Went through a case of scouring sticks and never vacuumed that pool so much in my life! Thankfully it's not a huge area I have to do, so it'll be worth it to just get it done in a weekend and do a really good vacuum afterwards.

Reactions: Chihuaha Verde
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.