Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pumice OK on pool plaster?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pumice OK on pool plaster?

I'll keep this simple, since I couldn't find a direct answer anywhere else on the site:

Is it OK to use a pumice stone to clean a plaster pool surface? Not tile, grout, coping - but the actual plaster surface of the pool.

The long version:
    Almost 2 year old pool. Builders back-filled our lot with crappy, sandy soil. Wind blows sand into pool and it settles on the surface and sits there, and is a huge pain to remove. It won't come off for the Polaris, regular vacuuming, or brushing with a nylon brush. Pumice stone takes it right off. It's definitely sand - I've gotten up close and personal with it - and it looks like it just settles into the microscopic holes in the plaster. I know there shouldn't be any holes or roughness to the plaster, but thats another story entirely.

Thanks in advance!
    Chelsea
    16x32 rectangular gunite, 20k gal, plaster (4.0-6.5 ft), Granite coping, Sundek deck
    Jandy CV340 cartridge filter, Jandy ePump 2.0HP (variable), Fusion Soft 1400 SWG, Polaris 280 pressure cleaner
    2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 3 returns, raised wall with 72" sheer descent
    Build completed July 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pumice OK on pool plaster?

It's fine to do it, but it makes a huge mess with all the pumice dust settling on the floor. And the blocks don't last very long.
    Drywall sanding screen has the same problems.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pumice OK on pool plaster?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    It's fine to do it, but it makes a huge mess with all the pumice dust settling on the floor. And the blocks don't last very long.
    Drywall sanding screen has the same problems.
    Thanks! I have experience with that mess from pumicing our waterline tiles last summer. Went through a case of scouring sticks and never vacuumed that pool so much in my life! Thankfully it's not a huge area I have to do, so it'll be worth it to just get it done in a weekend and do a really good vacuum afterwards.
    16x32 rectangular gunite, 20k gal, plaster (4.0-6.5 ft), Granite coping, Sundek deck
    Jandy CV340 cartridge filter, Jandy ePump 2.0HP (variable), Fusion Soft 1400 SWG, Polaris 280 pressure cleaner
    2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 3 returns, raised wall with 72" sheer descent
    Build completed July 2014