Edmond OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I'm considering one of these. I'm a little concerned about the reliability of the pump, given the reviews and my own personal history with Intex pool pumps. Intex has been good to replace stuff within a year, but for $900, I'd hope to get 4-5 years use out of it. Any thoughts/experiences to share?

Amazon.com : Intex 79In X 79In X28In PureSpa Portable Jet Garden

I have no real direct experience with them, and had considered one myself a few years ago before buying a used Hot Spring Jetsetter tub. Based on my research my opinion is that the only people that should consider these types of soft sided tubs are people that live in apartments or other similar rental environments that can't get a regular portable spa / hot tub. It is not only the up front cost that is a problem, but also the amount of electricity they consume trying to keep the water half way warm. (most of these types use waste heat from the pump motor to heat the water, they are also poorly insulated by hot tub standards). With a bit of shopping it is possible to find a refurbished or high quality used hot tub for under $2,000, sometimes under $1,000. You just have to dig through a lot of junk to find the deals as many used hot tubs were cheap junk to begin with and people want you to pay them to haul off their junk. Note a good quality hot tub will cost over $6,000 new for basic model, and likely over $10,000 for a deluxe model, however they depreciate like nothing else I have ever seen, so it is very possible to find a 4-5 year old quality tub from a dealer with a short warranty for a bit over $2,000, or the same tub from someone privately for half that. People sell perfectly good hot tubs for lots of reasons, they bought it and found they never used it, they traded in for new bells and whistles, moving and want the hot tub gone (in or out), health issues, etc.

I went ahead and took a chance on the Intex. It is supposed to arrive Friday. I'll post a review after I get it set up and running for a few days.

After the initial install and a few hours of use, I have to say I'm extremely impressed. The build quality is excellent, much better than I even expected. The liner is extremely tough and durable. Once inflated, the walls are sturdy enough for me (195 lbs) to sit upon without deforming much at all. They are much more rigid than I anticipated them being. The bubbles are quite vigorous, and although there are only 4 of them, the massage jets are pretty powerful too. I'd say they're nearly as strong as my whirlpool bath tub.

Everything went together easily, and we were filling it up inside of an hour. The built-in inflation pump is a fantastic feature. The weakest point is the time it takes to heat up, but this was expected being only a 110 VAC system. We filled it with warm water and once it got to 101 degrees, it held that temperature just fine. I was surprised to find that the heater still works with either the bubbles or the jets running, but not both. From what I've read, previous Intex models shut off the heat with any water agitation running, leading to a pretty quick cool down.

We had 3 adults and a 10 year-old all in it simultaneously, and there was plenty of room. I bought a couple of the adjustable seats, and they work well. Once it got hot, I was happy to be able to sit a little higher up out of the water. I'll probably get 2 more at some point. But prior to that, sitting directly on the floor was quite comfortable. It's well padded.

The only disappointment was the inflatable pillows. They simply lay over the side and the slightest nudge knocks them off to the ground. But they're really unnecessary anyway. It's just as comfortable resting your head directly on the wall, if not more so.

Assuming everything holds up for 4-5 years, I think I'm going to be extremely satisfied with this purchase. After that, we'll probably look to get a real hot tub. But this will do nicely until then. I'll post more pictures and some videos of operation soon.

WP_20160506_18_42_40_Pro_zpsdfcdcs5w.jpg

Update from Redneckistan...

Got these little floating LED light balls from Wal Mart for $2 each. They wedge perfectly beneath the filters. They change 8 different colors. Pretty cool looking, I think.

WP_20160512_21_12_56_Pro_zps1fo577xb.jpg

WP_20160512_21_06_39_Pro_zpselqpfhmm.jpg

I'm actually calling Intex today to see if I can get a replacement. The liner has multiple leaks along the seams and I'm unable to patch them all, so it won't stay inflated. And now there's a water leak somewhere inside the pump unit and it loses several inches of water per day.

I'll let you know what happens.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm actually calling Intex today to see if I can get a replacement. The liner has multiple leaks along the seams and I'm unable to patch them all, so it won't stay inflated. And now there's a water leak somewhere inside the pump unit and it loses several inches of water per day.

I'll let you know what happens.
Well that stinks, only a couple of months of use too.

Let us know how it turns out.

Yeah, I'm disappointed too. Still waiting for Intex Support hours to open. They are on West coast time.

The air leaks started first and would be manageable. Once aired up, it holds up okay until overnight. But the water leak is progressively getting worse. I checked it yesterday for the first time in a few days, and it was almost half empty.

As a TFPer, you know this algae on my patio is killing me!

temporary_zps7ympnmij.jpg

Intex approved my claim and sent me a new tub and pump, which arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, they sent the wrong tub and it doesn't mate up with my pump. Grrrr!

Good news. I called Intex about the replacement tub they sent. It only had 3 connectors, whereas my old tub and the replacement pump both had 4. They said this was the newest model tub and that the 4th connection was unnecessary and had been eliminated.

I explained that the pump they sent still had all 4, and they advised that I should just leave the 4th one unconnected. I was skeptical, but said I'd try it. So I hooked it up and filled it last night, and sure enough everything seems to be working normally.

I held my hand over the open connector and could not feel anything, so I'm not sure what its function was. I still have the old tub, so I plan to cut it open to see exactly how that connection was plumbed. I'm pretty sure it had to be an air line of some sort, since it is a much smaller hose than the water.

The water was up to 94 when I left for work this morning, so it should be ready for a test run tonight.

Well, the new tub only lasted a week before the chambers on one side began to split apart, causing it to bulge.

temporary_zpsehy4vvyv.jpg

Within a couple of days after that, it began leaking air too, much worse than the first tub.

temporary_zpshmcvhsbi.jpg

Intex has approved another return, but I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get one of these that lasts more than a few weeks.

In light of my experience, I can't recommend these to anyone. I wish I had shopped for a used fiberglass tub instead.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.