M400 worth the money?

Apr 18, 2016
New Jersey
New to pool ownership and am looking to buy first robot. Think I'm leaning toward a dolphin. Looked through the threads here and the m400 looks like a good choice. I can get for 1125 with the rebate. Dolphin has a number of others in the sub-1000 range--triton, nautilus, etc. which also get good recommendations. I am overwhelmed with the info out there and am looking for some expert opinion as to whether the extra money is worth it. I have a 20x40 concrete pool with some steps and quarter moon bump outs at either end. Would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

thanks,

Nick

The combination of the dual motor split main brushes, cartridge filtration (that will hopefully cut down on fine contamination I see in the cartridges on my main filter) the center brush to prevent hang-ups, plus the support and recommendation of numerous pool installers and local pool shops lead me to pull the trigger and purchase mine just over a week ago...

The M400 was recommended even over some other more expensive models as having the features that are most beneficial, reliable build quality and a proven track record without a lot of extra stuff that isn't needed.

I'm just looking forward to not having to fight with my positive pressure system this season! lol

Thanks Chrispy. The amount of information out there is overwhelming. And Maytronics' business model of having so many robots with different names although being generally the same thing doesn't help. Any thoughts on price for the m400. I've only been able to locate a single store locally that has it so I don't have anything to compare it too. In your opinion what would be the next best Dolphin robot? It seems the next step down gives up the middle brush.

I have the m400. Only cleaner i have personally owned for 6 months now but can attest that it is awesome. Very easy to operate. Picks up just about everything...leavs, small twiggs etc.. it does seem to be more efficient than friends suction cleaners.

Thanks Chrispy. The amount of information out there is overwhelming. And Maytronics' business model of having so many robots with different names although being generally the same thing doesn't help. Any thoughts on price for the m400. I've only been able to locate a single store locally that has it so I don't have anything to compare it too. In your opinion what would be the next best Dolphin robot? It seems the next step down gives up the middle brush.

The price is identical to what I purchased mine for...

better deals may be out there...but I trust the level of service that I receive from my local brick and mortar store I purchased from..and that has value attached to it as well

so I'm debating between the M400 ($1079 + $75 rebate), the M500 ($1349 + $100 rebate) or the s300 (same price as M400) and s300i (same price as M500). I believe the only differences between the M400 and M500 is the pro remote that comes with the M500? I'm not sure I'd use the bluetooth capabilities of the s300i.

so I'm debating between the M400 ($1079 + $75 rebate), the M500 ($1349 + $100 rebate) or the s300 (same price as M400) and s300i (same price as M500). I believe the only differences between the M400 and M500 is the pro remote that comes with the M500? I'm not sure I'd use the bluetooth capabilities of the s300i.

I just picked up the s300. The m400 was in the running but the 300's filter basket swayed it for me. Works great, as I'm sure the 400 would.

Having a reliable robot is a huge timesaver and is worth the expense for me.

I was strongly considering the S series as well due to the lighter weight and the filter basket design, however, the overwhelming recommendations by the local brick and mortar pool shops (I suspect MOSTLY if not totally due to their long term familiarity with the Supreme line vs. the new, relatively unknown S)....

I can't help but think that either choice would be excellent...for the record - Darin.brown.... 1079 looks to be an awesome price on those cleaners!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's funny, my local brick and mortar convinced me to go with the S300 (I guess they push what they know - or probably what they have in excess inventory). It has exceeded my expectations so far, but with the poor performance of my old Diagnostic it had small shoes to fill. The basket is 1000% better than the old bag system and has much greater capacity than the cartridges. The whole unit seems to be a simplified version of the Dolphin platform, but not in a bad way. It's lighter, more powerful, climbs better, holds more debris and cleans more easily. My only gripe so far is the inconsistency of the Bluetooth connection. Don't yet know if that's just me or if it's the way the tech is. All you "lose" with Bluetooth disconnected is the digital "joystick" manual override, everything else can be controlled from the power supply. I'm confident that I would have been equally happy with the M400 (but now that I've used the basket I'm not sure if I can switch).

One other thing, to address the whole "worth the money" issue. When we bought the house a few years ago and became first-time pool owners, the previous owner gave me a quick tutorial on using the skimmer-attached vacuum. I did that for a month, along with periodic wall scrubbing. I then purchased a well-cared-for (but nearly 10 year-old) Diagnostic from a friend and it was a revelation. I really only have weekends to get stuff done because I work late most days, so I could drop the robot in, run errands and return to a clean pool. There was still about 5 minutes of skimming the surface with a net for little floaty things, but totally manageable.

The new S300 takes the convenience to the next level because my post-pool-cleaning ritual has been further simplified. The Diagnostic's bag system was pretty poorly conceived and even when we went to disposable bags last season, it was an imperfect alternative. It still clogged easily. So I have 3 years of in-warranty coverage, which makes the worst case about $350 a year for the convenience. My pool guy wants $125 a week for maintenance, so that's a no-brainer.

If it lasts as long as the Diagnostic, then it's under $100/year. Either way I have gained 18-36 hours a season, at a minimum, so I think it's well worth it.

The central brush to help eliminate hangups on the main filter pickup and the long-term familiarity were the 2 big factors that had them pushing the M400 over the S300 as well as the 36 month vs 24 month warranty...

That being said..I MUCH preferred the idea of the 'climb and push' system of the S300 vs the adjustable float system of the M400 to propel the unit around the tile line...and the light weight would have been a huge benefit for my wife to handle some of the pool maintenance duties...

All that being said....I deferred to the local recommendation and I'm looking forward to it being easier and more economical to deal with than my existing positive pressure system with dedicated 3/4hp pump! lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.