Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: first open - should I SLAM?

1. Back To Top    #1

first open - should I SLAM?

I read the pool opening sticky and it looked like it just recommended shocking the pool (up to 3 FC) and not a full out slam. This is my first opening and I'm doing it myself and I'm not sure if I should SLAM or just the smaller shock. My pool looks pretty good. No real FC though. Here are my numbers:

FC - 0.5, CC - 0, PH - 7.4, Calcium 125, TA - 50, CYA - 50

I know I need to balance my numbers a bit but I didn't want to raise my CYA until I understood if I should SLAM or not. Thanks a lot for the help. This site has been a life saver. I recommend it to every one I meet even if they don't have a pool.
    10K gal, ing, fiberglass, Hayward Goldline SWG, 1HP Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Aqua Plus, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: first open - should I SLAM?

Hello! Advice? .... SLAM. Hopefully it will go quick for you. Always good to verify everything on the Pool School - Opening Your Winterized Above Ground Pool page, but then take your FC up to 20 based on your CYA of 50. Maintain the FC of 20 until you have definitely passed all 3 SLAM criteria (link below). Everything else is fine for now to do the SLAM. After you pass the SLAM, raise your CYA to 70 for a SWG pool. Hope that helps. Have a nice weekend.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!