Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time

1. Back To Top    #1

First time

Live in MAss. We put in an IG pool in the fall. I had them come out today and open the pool. Kinda early but i wanted them here to finish off cutting the liner around skimmers and to get the pump going. They shocked it today as well. They said to bring in a water sample 2morro but i have my own test kit. My question is do i bring in a sample, and do i start balancing and caring for the pool even though we are not even in May yet? And do i run the pump and how often? Since it was shocked ill run the pump for 24hrs but then what?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time

If you have one of our recommended test kits----trust your own results. Bring your levels into ranges recommended in Pool School. Only run the pump enough to keep you r water clear and clean enough to suit you. Start at 4 hours and see how that works this early in your area.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, now that it is open might as well keep it clean. Your chlorine consumption will be low. You can add your pool info to your sig, more here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

Have you memorized all this yet? Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes I definitely have one of your recommended test kits. Ill take some tests n report back.

5. Back To Top    #5

Save the gas and don't bother taking a sample. You've got a vinyl liner, and it's held up for several months, so there aren't going to be any warranty issues with plaster problems that they'll try to weasel out of.

Let it circulate a while and check for leaks anywhere, and then plunge your arm in the cold water up to the elbow and get a sample. Just hold a plastic tumbler or whatever you use (no glass) upside down until it's a couple feet down and invert it. It'll fill up and you can carry it off somewhere to run the tests seated comfortably. The CYA test works best if the sample is warm, so let it get to 70F at least. Do the pH and FC tests immediately, because they will change over time.

Also let us know if the installer left you any chemicals. Just because we prefer to buy cheaper stuff not marketed just for pools when possible, if you already own it, use it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!