Replacing Side Mount O-Ring Spacer

Eric K.

Bronze Supporter
Apr 18, 2016
Hilo, HI
Aloha all. This is my first post and I appreciate all that I have learned here. Our new place of 3 months now came with an awesome pool. Big learning curve, but now I have something rather worrisome.

The O-Ring spacer (SX360E) between my Hayward S310S side-mount sand filter (top elbow) and Hayward SP0715X62 valve blew apart (a long story, I'll save for later) and I need to replace it. I have O-rings, spacers and fittings (to be safe) on order and awaiting their arrival so that I can get the filter back into the loop.
20160421_084807.jpg
My question is, what do I need to be prepared for when I replace these parts? I've looked online for videos, but haven't found anything yet.

For example, I assume I'll need to detach bottom along with top in order to separate valve from filter and replace fitting, spacer and o-rings.

1. Do I need to drain water from the filter first so that the bottom detachment doesn't make a mess, or will the water stay in the filter with valve off?

2. Water has already leaked out from the blown spacer. When the parts are replaced, do I need to fill filter up with water before use, or will the pump take care of that when I backwash and rinse?

3. Will I have a mess of sand come out from the bottom?

4. What should I set the valve to when detaching it? Recirculate? Close?

5. Do I need anything else besides the new parts? It looks like I just need elbow grease.

This could be the easiest job ever, I don't know, but thought it wise to check in here first before making a disheartening situation even worse. Thanks for any insight.

Welcome!

I had to replace one on my Hayward S360SX a few years back. I first turned off the breaker to the pump at the electric panel - then set the multiport to Recirc and opened the filter drain ( there's a screen to keep the sand from draining out). Then I loosened the two unions at the filter/multiport with a strap wrench. I "bumped" the top of the filter (at the top band clamp) to slightly tilt the filter away from the multiport. I did have a little play in the piping to then pull the multiport away from the filter housing just enough to allow further disassembly of the filter side fittings. I was able to rotate the filter a bit to gain full access to the spacer and o-rings. Be sure to clean all mating surfaces (you'd be surprised what just one grain of sand can do).

The hardest part was re-aligning everything again. But with several small adjustments, it all lined up perfectly. Take your time to re-align everything. It's a good idea to have someone to help re-align the filter - it's heavy with all that sand in there.

Are you replacing the upper or lower spacer? Lower line enters the filter and goes downward to the laterals at bottom of filter. Upper goes upward toward top of filter. My lower line it totally encased in the 700 pounds of sand in the filter. My upper line is right about at the top end of the sand. My upper spacer developed a crack - so I opened the top of the filter to be sure the upper pipe was centered on the opening after tightening the spacer nut (lube the o-rings and don't over tighten the spacer nut or you may crack it).

After everything is aligned - reassemble filter to multiport, set the multiport to Filter, turn the power back on and start the pump. I used the air bleed at the top to purge any air from the filter. Check for any leaks and correct if needed.

30 minutes to an hour time wise. There's a PDF manual online if you want to see the schematic (I would have just posted the link to it, but my tablet isn't cooperating).

Gene, This is awesome. Thank you for painting the picture for me! And, double-checking that the upper elbow is centered to the top is huge...something I'd never consider.
It is my upper spacer that blew, but I ordered parts to replace upper and lower, just in case. I have the schematic, as that's how I diagnosed and ordered the parts.
Couple more questions:
What type of lube should I be using on the o-rings? And, do I need to fill the filter with water before starting the pump (or is that the pump's job)?

Eric

I used silicone lube (not silicone caulk). Any of the standard o-ring lubes will work, so if you already have some for the pump lid o-ring that will work just fine. The lube is used to help prevent pinching the o-rings and provide an air tight seal. I did not fill the filter up, I just used the pump. But filling with the hose is fine too.

Since you already have the filter open, you may want to consider doing a filter deep clean while it's already open. Do your repair, hook up the multiport and then do the deep clean.

Link to sand filter deep clean:
Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

If you haven't already done so, have a read through pool school and seriously consider getting one of the recommended test kits (TF-100 is the best bang for the buck) and fully embracing the concepts and teaching here. It will make your pool care a breeze and give you great looking , properly sanitized water.

Let's us know how this project goes or if you have ANY further questions. Also, take a few pictures as you do the repair and post them here to possibly help the next person with this issue.

Mission Accomplished!

The parts arrived today and after work I was able to swap out the fitting, spacer and rings to the top elbow, backwash/rinse, filter and sweep the pool before it got dark. Because of the time crunch (out of town for the next 2 days), I only did the top elbow (where the blown spacer was), didn't do the deep clean, and didn't document it for others. But, the advice and directions here from Gene are spot-on (thanks again!).

For me, the hardest was learning how to get the strap wrench to work on the fitting. Once I got that loose, I bumped the filter to make room, took out the old, lubed the new spacer both sides, placed the o-rings in, made sure no sand was anywhere, and reassembled. I had to hold the other end of the elbow in the filter as I tightened the fitting, then re-positioned it once the elbow had a grip on the filter wall with the fitting. I'm so happy the filter is back on!

Gene, I have a TF-100 on order, and hope to have it in a couple days. My concern is my CYA is through the roof and I'll need to drain the pool significantly. But, that is for another day/forum, to be taken up once I get a real test done. I am determined for this to be a TFP!

Thank you!! ~Eric

Glad my explanation helped!

Just post a complete set of numbers once your test kit arrives (in a new thread) and someone will be along shortly to assist if needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.