Aloha all. This is my first post and I appreciate all that I have learned here. Our new place of 3 months now came with an awesome pool. Big learning curve, but now I have something rather worrisome.
The O-Ring spacer (SX360E) between my Hayward S310S side-mount sand filter (top elbow) and Hayward SP0715X62 valve blew apart (a long story, I'll save for later) and I need to replace it. I have O-rings, spacers and fittings (to be safe) on order and awaiting their arrival so that I can get the filter back into the loop.
My question is, what do I need to be prepared for when I replace these parts? I've looked online for videos, but haven't found anything yet.
For example, I assume I'll need to detach bottom along with top in order to separate valve from filter and replace fitting, spacer and o-rings.
1. Do I need to drain water from the filter first so that the bottom detachment doesn't make a mess, or will the water stay in the filter with valve off?
2. Water has already leaked out from the blown spacer. When the parts are replaced, do I need to fill filter up with water before use, or will the pump take care of that when I backwash and rinse?
3. Will I have a mess of sand come out from the bottom?
4. What should I set the valve to when detaching it? Recirculate? Close?
5. Do I need anything else besides the new parts? It looks like I just need elbow grease.
This could be the easiest job ever, I don't know, but thought it wise to check in here first before making a disheartening situation even worse. Thanks for any insight.