New quartz plaster finish is mottled

Apr 19, 2016
Orange Beach AL
I'm a newbie to this great site, good job folks. Just completed construction on an IG gunite pool with Krystal Krete Blue Quartz finish. The picture below shows the mottled appearance that became evident as soon as the pool water cleared. My PB is one of the most reputable in the region, and they advised during the process that they used "the best" sub crew on the finish application. I was present during much of it, and it was clearly a crew that had their act together. Each man had a specialty or area they focused on. The actual finish texture and shape is exemplary. Application took about 5 hours, fill began two hours after completion, and took 24 hours to fill. The mottled finish is throughout the pool, deep end bottom and shallow sides. Note that different workers worked on different areas, and the result was similar throughout. The dark areas appear to be the proper color of the quartz.

Temperatures and weather was about perfect during and after the plaster application. The PB does not seem to have an answer for why this occurred, and suggests it will improve with time.....probably. They tend to think it is the fat of the plaster giving the white spots. Options they have offered included lowering the ph dramatically with optional circulation equipment for a few days, or draining and doing an acid wash. The PB also claims very few past problems with this specific finish.

I am brushing daily, and if anything the distinction between the shades is more noticeable. One independent expert I contacted thought my fill tap water may not have been quite right. I have no solid information on any calcium chloride use, but the PB commented that they should not have used any considering the mild weather.

Any suggestions on what happened, and what to do next? Sure hate to dump the crystal clear water for an acid wash.

IMG_20160411_074408047.jpgIMG_20160411_074335143.jpg

Welcome! First things first, you must get a proper test kit, TF100 or Taylor 2006 if you don't have one. I suggest ordering today.

Secondly, I have literally the exact same finish as you, and had the same coloring after the last resurface. It got better with time, either I got used to it or it went away.

You will be fighting rising pH for some time, maybe up to a year. Proper pH is important for your curing time, hence the urgent need for a good test kit.

Thanks for the fast responses. An update: water temperature reached 80F, so I did take my first dip (we Southerners are spoiled, I know). I did a lot of "feeling" of the two different colors, and basically the darker is smoother, and has the appropriate visible surface aggregate, whereas the white areas typically are a little less smooth, maybe even raised somewhat in some areas. That would tend to support the fat of the plaster theory I would think.

Pooldv, thanks for that reference, I had previously found it and believe the "White spotting and streaking" paragraph my apply. I don't remember clearly, but the plaster guys may have "slung" some water occasionally during final smoothing, but I cannot say for sure. BTW Mr Bruce, my PB provided a Pentair test kit, but I will getting a TF100 kit. I have been monitoring the PH level carefully, and the PB claims the other parameters are right at this point (technically it has not been turned over to me yet). I am a hands on person, and a bit technical.

I am waiting for my PB to return to finish up on a few punch list items, but to be prepared, I would really appreciate some feedback on the two options offered: acid bath and acid wash. They tend to think the bath does not usually work, and would prefer to bite the bullet and do the drain and acid wash......if I remain unsatisfied with the finish. But my research on doing this shows it to have mixed results at best, and a bad practice that shortens the life of the finish at worse. Again, all comments on anyone's actual experience is appreciated.

Is it a no drain acid bath vs a full drain and acid wash. I have seen no drain acid wash work to resolve issues. But, not always. A drain and acid wash is more aggressive, removes plaster and can certainly shorten the life of the plaster. I would try a no drain acid bath first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.