Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG Newbie - Foam on Initial Startup

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG Newbie - Foam on Initial Startup

Hey there. Newbie here that just installed a SWG (Aqua Trol). I followed the directions (including putting a quart of algaecide in before starting) and now each time I turn the chlorinator on it creates a layer of foam on the surface. It goes away quickly after killing the chlorinator and running the filter. I understand this could be because of the algaecide, but wanted to make sure to check everything. Should I keep the chlorinator running and just let it runs it's course over the next week?

My numbers appear to be almost perfect.
    Taylor home test kit:

FC 6.8 - added a lot of bleach recently
    CC 0
    pH 7.6
    Total Alk: 120
    CYA: 75
    CH: 200
    Salt 3300 on the unit (no test kit yet; recommendations?)

Am I right to assume an air leak could cause this as well? The connecting tubes are the cheap grey ones from Lowes and thought about replacing them.

I inherited this pool last year with the purchase of my home and used the BBB method last year with great success. We switched to SWG because my wife's skin is sensitive to the chemicals.

Thank you!
    Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it.

24' above ground ~13,000 gal; converted SWG Agua Trol

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: SWG Newbie - Foam on Initial Startup

Yeah, algaecide is the common culprit. Keep your chlorine at that level and it will subside in a day or so.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I would keep your FC at 10ish for a few days to burn it all off faster.

BTW, your TA is pretty high. If your PH tends to rise a lot this could be the reason. Letting your TA drop to 60-80 will help stop rapid PH rise. TA will drop through normal acid additions used to lower PH or you can lower it faster following this process, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

How much foam are we talking about? A SWG will sometimes emit bubbles when it's generating.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Enough to not be able to see the bottom of the pool. It's gone now. Took 2 days to clear up, looks like the SWG is working properly. I'll get the alk down with that link. I appreciate the help!
    Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it.

24' above ground ~13,000 gal; converted SWG Agua Trol