Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weighting down Conter Steps with corner step.

1. Back To Top    #1

Weighting down Conter Steps with corner step.

OK,getting my new steps together. I don't want to put sand in them and I don't want to spend a fortune on material .I have seen different solutions from PVC to Jug's.Thinking of using pea gravel .Thought about bleach Jug's and hanging them on inside of steps with marine rope and some thick wire straps. Any suggestions

Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Weighting down Conter Steps with corner step.

I used bleach jugs, filled them with quikrete and added water. So far that has worked better than any other method I've tried. My steps have a shelf for the weights so I did not need to hang.
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls234 View Post
    I used bleach jugs, filled them with quikrete and added water. So far that has worked better than any other method I've tried. My steps have a shelf for the weights so I did not need to hang.
    Never thought about putting quikrete in jugs and add water.What was your mix ratio?Weight of jug after doing that?

Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Also,when using PVC what is the best cement to use.Worried about it coming un-glued.Also,notice people using 3 in Pipe.Looking at 23 in lengths.On average how many will it take to get 70 pounds

5. Back To Top    #5

I like blue PVC glue best. It works wet or dry.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank You
    Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I like blue PVC glue best. It works wet or dry.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have the same steps; I've tried the jugs of concrete, pvc pipes filled with concrete - all to no avail. What worked for me was picking up 2 25 pound dumbbells from Wal-mart - the plastic coated kind. I placed them on the back support bar under the steps. I also placed a pad under the steps so the weights lean off the support bar and onto the pad. Worked great and it was the first year my steps didn't move
    2013 21,500 Gal. 28' Round AB Doughboy
    DE Filter, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    Solar & Rheem 400k heat

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by kplaster View Post
    Never thought about putting quikrete in jugs and add water.What was your mix ratio?Weight of jug after doing that?

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
    I wasn't that precise on the mix ratio, just tried to be in the ballpark of what was suggested on the package. Can't recall the weight of them either, maybe around 20 pounds? I'll weigh one this weekend and report back.

Pouring the quikrete into that little hole was tricky, I tried a funnel but the opening often clogged with the larger pebbles. I ended up making a funnel with poster board or something similar so I could manipulate the size of the opening and that made it much easier. I made maybe 10 of these to not only hold down the stairs, but also my makeshift islands that I have throughout the pool so I wanted something that could be taken in and out fairly easily. The handles really help with that.
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls234 View Post
    I wasn't that precise on the mix ratio, just tried to be in the ballpark of what was suggested on the package. Can't recall the weight of them either, maybe around 20 pounds? I'll weigh one this weekend and report back.

Pouring the quikrete into that little hole was tricky, I tried a funnel but the opening often clogged with the larger pebbles. I ended up making a funnel with poster board or something similar so I could manipulate the size of the opening and that made it much easier. I made maybe 10 of these to not only hold down the stairs, but also my makeshift islands that I have throughout the pool so I wanted something that could be taken in and out fairly easily. The handles really help with that.
    Thank You,I'm looking at ease of getting them up at the end of season.Thought about attaching marine rope to them to be able to pull out of water.Trying to find new empty Jug's.But,the price of them I can just buy cheap jugs of bleach and pour out for the jugs.

10. Back To Top    #10

Well,we picked up a 50 pound bag of concrete mix and some rope.We rounded up several empty bleach bottles So we going to try to get the jug's started tomorrow.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I ended up putting the sand in them, as I couldn't get anything to stay and the front kept floating up.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Well,we got 6 jugs done.They are about 16 pounds wet.Got rope and big zip ties. Figure will place one in each corner.Strap them in and tie rope to all them and tie rope so I can reach and pull out of water when needed.

13. Back To Top    #13

Nice, let us know how it works. Might not be a bad idea to pour a bit of bleach in the bottles occasionally. I had a very low level algae growth (only aware because of dead algae on appearing on the bottom) end of last year so was wondering if the bottles became a bit of a safe harbor.

14. Back To Top    #14

In our steps, we put small bricks into ziplock freezer bags. Then put them in. I didn't want the surface of the bricks to corrode into the pool or get algae on them. Seems to be working.
    Above ground 27' round, 17,000 gal., 52" high; vinyl liner; TropiCal 96,000BTU Heat pump; Integrity A Frame Ladder; Solar Blanket, Aqua Cover by PolyAir Corp, thermotex clear, 5 yr. warranty, cartridge filter., Clear Bay Cartridge CBA2-10043 (two to switch out when cleaning); New pool as of 6/1/15.

15. Back To Top    #15

Well,we got them hung with big zip tie's.Got'a get tub mat's before putting in water.I've gone back to work now so it's hard to get project completed.I will get pictures before dropping in pool.

16. Back To Top    #16

I use sand, bleach bottles and bungee cords with plastic hooks.

The green ones hold the bleach bottles n the blue ones keep the steps up against the wall n clip onto the top rail. I lije being able to move them easily to clean.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Well,that didn't work.Had 6 jug 's weighing about 15 or so a PC.Still not enough to hold in water.Ugg.Finally got it warm enough to get in today.O'well..Pulled it back out.T his is what we have now.Got two Jug's hung on side step

18. Back To Top    #18

Mine have holes in at the top for filling them with water, that keeps them in place. There is plugs for the holes too for when they are full. Could you no just drill a 3/4" hole into each leg near the top, fill them, and then put a plug in?
    All these ladders appear to be hollow, so why not fill with water and plug?
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by DarrelB View Post
    Mine have holes in at the top for filling them with water, that keeps them in place. There is plugs for the holes too for when they are full. Could you no just drill a 3/4" hole into each leg near the top, fill them, and then put a plug in?
    All these ladders appear to be hollow, so why not fill with water and plug?
    They are designed to add sand to them.Pop the plugs and add sand then put plug back in.But,I really didn't want to put 70 plus pound's of sand in them.Pain to get put of water.

20. Back To Top    #20

So my ? is the cavity for sand.Is it just a empty area that water can't get to.Which would leave a air spot.Thinking I need to make a couple more jug's or just try to get to bottom sand hole and add sand only to bottom area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast