Algaecide?

Jun 13, 2015
Southborough, MA
We just opened our inground pool yesterday for our first official season. While doing so, our pool company recommended a weekly treatment of algaecide (2 oz?) to prevent any algae from starting to grow, particularly the black algae which could get into the grout of our tile work. Apparently, it's impossible to eliminate once it starts?

I should have have mentioned I have salt w a salt generation system.

Thoughts and/or recommendations as to any particular type?

I wouldn't do it. Algaecides in many cases are not needed, waste or money, and/or increase the potential to add copper to your water. Proper sanitation (chlorination) is the key to eliminating and preventing algae. About the only time you'll find a favorable use of algaecide here at TFP is when preparing to close the pool for winterization (Polyquat 60). Please see the Pool School link below in my sig for more info and the ABCs of Water Chemistry to learn more. Have a nice weekend.

Alegaecides are normally a bad idea. You don't know what they contain and some can even contain copper which could cause staining in your pool. Here at TFP we follow a simple concept do never putting anything in your water that it doesn't need. How do you know what it needs? Having a good test and testing your own water eliminating the need to spend lots of money at the pool store throwing gosh knows what into your pool. Start off reading Pool School here, get yourself a good test kit...TF100 from tftestkits.com or Taylor k2006c.

DANG YALL TYPE FAST....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.