Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algaecide?

1. Back To Top    #1

Algaecide?

We just opened our inground pool yesterday for our first official season. While doing so, our pool company recommended a weekly treatment of algaecide (2 oz?) to prevent any algae from starting to grow, particularly the black algae which could get into the grout of our tile work. Apparently, it's impossible to eliminate once it starts?

I should have have mentioned I have salt w a salt generation system.

Thoughts and/or recommendations as to any particular type?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Algaecide?

No algaecide needed. Just get one of our recommended test kits and some bleach will get you going.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

I wouldn't do it. Algaecides in many cases are not needed, waste or money, and/or increase the potential to add copper to your water. Proper sanitation (chlorination) is the key to eliminating and preventing algae. About the only time you'll find a favorable use of algaecide here at TFP is when preparing to close the pool for winterization (Polyquat 60). Please see the Pool School link below in my sig for more info and the ABCs of Water Chemistry to learn more. Have a nice weekend.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Darn you Texas!! I was getting there...

- - - Updated - - -

BTW Welcome Lpaul626! We are glad you found us and you will be too.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Alegaecides are normally a bad idea. You don't know what they contain and some can even contain copper which could cause staining in your pool. Here at TFP we follow a simple concept do never putting anything in your water that it doesn't need. How do you know what it needs? Having a good test and testing your own water eliminating the need to spend lots of money at the pool store throwing gosh knows what into your pool. Start off reading Pool School here, get yourself a good test kit...TF100 from tftestkits.com or Taylor k2006c.

DANG YALL TYPE FAST....
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks all! I should have mentioned I have salt w a generation system.