Apr 20, 2016
Dallas TX
What are the real pros and cons of plaster vs Quartz plaster vs pebble surfaces

Is it purely aesthetic or taste?

My contractors say:
Plaster: 7-10 years
Quartz:15 years
Pebble: 20 years

On a new pool. We are remodeling our old pool- so I should probably expect shorter lives.

Are there any water chemistry, maintenance or structural benefits of one over the others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are the standard life spans stated by the industry on a whole but in reality don't match good quality plaster jobs.

I have standard white plaster in my pool now for 5 years and it is in excellent shape still. I have kept my pool balanced at all times according to TFP guidelines.

My in-law's pool has the original white plaster since 1980.

Bad water chemistry can ruin plaster in a short amount of time.

Read this link on what helps make plaster jobs last, Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster.

According to my wife and kids, the most important difference is (in their opinion) regular plaster is not as rough on their feet as other options. My in-law's pool has original white plaster since ~1999, and he has always relied on the pool-store for water chemistry.

What are the real pros and cons of plaster vs Quartz plaster vs pebble surfaces

Is it purely aesthetic or taste?

My contractors say:
Plaster: 7-10 years
Quartz:15 years
Pebble: 20 years

On a new pool. We are remodeling our old pool- so I should probably expect shorter lives.

Are there any water chemistry, maintenance or structural benefits of one over the others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We purchased our house three years ago. The pool was built in 1973 and had been replastered in 1998. We had it sandblasted down to the gunite (which was as unblemished as the day it was applied) and replastered last year. Our pool guy says 12-15 years (and up to 20 with meticulous care). The previous replaster lasted 17 years and was in decent shape until the previous pool guy messed it up.

We purchased our house three years ago. The pool was built in 1973 and had been replastered in 1998. We had it sandblasted down to the gunite (which was as unblemished as the day it was applied) and replastered last year. Our pool guy says 12-15 years (and up to 20 with meticulous care). The previous replaster lasted 17 years and was in decent shape until the previous pool guy messed it up.

I don't think we will be meticulous- I wish I could say otherwise - but we are just not that on top of it.

You don't automatically get added longevity with the quartz surfaces, you still need to maintain those as well. And ultimately skill and reliability of the plasterer matters. A well-applied plaster surface can last longer than a poorly applied quartz.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.