Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plaster options

1. Back To Top    #1

Plaster options

What are the real pros and cons of plaster vs Quartz plaster vs pebble surfaces

Is it purely aesthetic or taste?

My contractors say:
    Plaster: 7-10 years
    Quartz:15 years
    Pebble: 20 years

On a new pool. We are remodeling our old pool- so I should probably expect shorter lives.

Are there any water chemistry, maintenance or structural benefits of one over the others?

N. Texas
    25,000G IG pool -installed in 80's owned by us for 4 years
    Maintained by us for 16 months
    Plaster with a diving end of 10+ feet
    DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plaster options

That is about right, looks, cost and longevity. Yes, maintaining your water chemistry can add or subtract 5 or more years from/to the life of your plaster. Maintaining your CSI between -0.3 and +0.3 will pay big dividends. Especially in Dallas where our water is prone to scaling.

More here
    Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    and here
    Langelier and Calcite Saturation Indices (LSI and CSI)
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Those are the standard life spans stated by the industry on a whole but in reality don't match good quality plaster jobs.

I have standard white plaster in my pool now for 5 years and it is in excellent shape still. I have kept my pool balanced at all times according to TFP guidelines.

My in-law's pool has the original white plaster since 1980.

Bad water chemistry can ruin plaster in a short amount of time.

Read this link on what helps make plaster jobs last, Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

According to my wife and kids, the most important difference is (in their opinion) regular plaster is not as rough on their feet as other options. My in-law's pool has original white plaster since ~1999, and he has always relied on the pool-store for water chemistry.
    Owner Build. 32x16, with 6x8 raised spa. Broke ground April 1, 2016, swimming July 18. Pentair Intelliflo VS + Whisperflo for Water features; Clean & Clear Filter 420; Master Temp Heater 400k BTU; Intellibrite 120V pool and spa lights; Regular ol' plaster.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bazodee View Post
    What are the real pros and cons of plaster vs Quartz plaster vs pebble surfaces

Is it purely aesthetic or taste?

My contractors say:
    Plaster: 7-10 years
    Quartz:15 years
    Pebble: 20 years

On a new pool. We are remodeling our old pool- so I should probably expect shorter lives.

Are there any water chemistry, maintenance or structural benefits of one over the others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We purchased our house three years ago. The pool was built in 1973 and had been replastered in 1998. We had it sandblasted down to the gunite (which was as unblemished as the day it was applied) and replastered last year. Our pool guy says 12-15 years (and up to 20 with meticulous care). The previous replaster lasted 17 years and was in decent shape until the previous pool guy messed it up.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Geebot View Post
    We purchased our house three years ago. The pool was built in 1973 and had been replastered in 1998. We had it sandblasted down to the gunite (which was as unblemished as the day it was applied) and replastered last year. Our pool guy says 12-15 years (and up to 20 with meticulous care). The previous replaster lasted 17 years and was in decent shape until the previous pool guy messed it up.
    I don't think we will be meticulous- I wish I could say otherwise - but we are just not that on top of it.
    N. Texas
    25,000G IG pool -installed in 80's owned by us for 4 years
    Maintained by us for 16 months
    Plaster with a diving end of 10+ feet
    DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

We went for a Pebble Sheen re-plaster for the longevity. Didn't want to have to drop another 13k in my life time for a another re-plaster job.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

8. Back To Top    #8

You don't automatically get added longevity with the quartz surfaces, you still need to maintain those as well. And ultimately skill and reliability of the plasterer matters. A well-applied plaster surface can last longer than a poorly applied quartz.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner