Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New (to me) spa

1. Back To Top    #1

St. Louis, MO

New (to me) spa

First time spa owner here. Bought this house with a pool and a separate spa on Monday. I've been getting moved in and trying to get a handle on the pool chemistry, so I'm just now getting around to the spa. I tested the water this am with the TF-100, results are below.

pH: 7.8
    FC: 1
    CC: .5
    CH: 125
    TA: 150
    CYA: 80

So i assume I need to bring the pH down a bit, but what else do I need to do? The owners manual says that if I have an ozonator FC should be between 1 and 3. So am I good there? And there is a bucket of chemicals next to the spa with pH up, pH down, chlorine granules, algaecide, and a few others. Should I use these for now? Dump em?

And finally, what do I need to do moving forward to take care of the spa? Change/clean filters? Set some kind of timer for the ozonator?
    30k free form IG gunnite pool with 1.5 hp challenger pump, sta-rite sand filter, SWG, and Rheem heater.

2002 425 gal cal spa fiesta series spa with ozonator.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: New (to me) spa

I would not adjust the recommended FC levels due to the ozone.
    You need to follow the FC/CYA Chart so your FC is much too low for your CYA level (which is higher than you need, likely due to the granules).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

PH up/down is fine. Skip the rest.

This is how I have been maintaining my hot tub for a few years. It works great! How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW Louisiana

I would also suggest now may be a good time to replace that water and get the CYA level down, I suspect the previous owner used dichlor exclusively.

You may want to check out the dichlor then bleach method

Dichlor - then bleach method

ps how old is the ozonator, many types stop making Ozone after 3-4 years (some newer models may last 5-7 years) most also just have a power indicator light which does not tell you if they are producing ozone. There are one time (break glass draw tube) style testers for ozone, but given they cost around $15 each, and you can get a new Del brand ozonator off ebay for about $100, I question their value.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~