Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump help???

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump help???

We are adding a water slide feature to our pool with a side waterfall run off..... we need arround 200 gpm. For it to properly flow. Is there any reason why I couldn't use a spa pump for that type of flow instead of a pool pump? The head is only about 10 ft. And has a lift of 3.5ft? I know spa pumps aren't water proof but if it was placed inside a waterproof housing is there any reason I couldn't use this?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump help???

Welcome to TFP!

Slides don't usually need that much water. Are you sure it isn't 200 gph (hour), not minute. Some people just plumb it to an irrigation line or hose with brass line and valve and let it add a little water to the pool while in use.

Please add your state or country to your location in your profile, climate is a very important factor when helping you with your pool. Also, please add your pool info to your signature so that we can better understand what we are helping you with, more here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I'm sure it's 200 gpm as there is a 10' waterfall attached as well. Is there any reason we couldn't use a spa pump in order to get this amount of flow?

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey, there is some handy extra info! I would use a waterfall pump. They will perform much more efficiently in this situation. Like this, http://www.pentairpool.com/products/...-pumps-191.htm
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't think that pump or any other residential pool pump will produce 200 GPM. But even with a 10' waterfall, I don't think you will need 200 GPM. Where did that number come from?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater