Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dog run around pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Dog run around pool

So we need some design ideas to landscape/hardscape the area around the north and east side of our soon to be built pool. The plan below shows this area (as landscape but will not look like this) and is 8' wide on the north side and about 5'5" on the east side. Our young energetic dogs currently run laps and chase around our yard and have created muddy paths. They will probably be doing laps and running around the pool when it's built. We would like something that not just sod, since they will make a muddy mess again, but if we do pavers with gravel we need to make sure it will be soft on their feet and not something they will kick up and fall into the pool or will slide on or tear up as they run.

My pool thread. IG 31' x 20', 3.5'/4.5'/6', 8' spa, 4T moss rock WF/WW w/jumping rock, 7' x 11' sunshelf 3 bubblers, travertine coping, spray deck, Hayward equip: SwimClear 525 Cartridge Filter, H400 natural gas heater, Tristar Dual Speed EE pump 2HP, Tristar EE pump 1.5HP for water features, blower 2HP, Prologic P/S 8 w/aqua pod remote, Aqua Rite T-15 Salt System, Tigershark QC robot, networked Colorlogic LEDs 2 pool 1 spa.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dog run around pool

How about some rubber mulch?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

If given the chance I suspect they would run laps around your pool on the decking next to the water
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    How about some rubber mulch?
    I will look into that thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    If given the chance I suspect they would run laps around your pool on the decking next to the water
    Oh believe me they will run laps around the whole pool which includes the deck and the undecked (landscape/hardscape) areas. They will have access to all and we hope they will like swimming.
    My pool thread. IG 31' x 20', 3.5'/4.5'/6', 8' spa, 4T moss rock WF/WW w/jumping rock, 7' x 11' sunshelf 3 bubblers, travertine coping, spray deck, Hayward equip: SwimClear 525 Cartridge Filter, H400 natural gas heater, Tristar Dual Speed EE pump 2HP, Tristar EE pump 1.5HP for water features, blower 2HP, Prologic P/S 8 w/aqua pod remote, Aqua Rite T-15 Salt System, Tigershark QC robot, networked Colorlogic LEDs 2 pool 1 spa.

5. Back To Top    #5

To follow up on the above post it is my experience that dogs like to run along the edge of the water, particularly when they are excited or if someone is in the pool, I have observed this in a number of breeds of dogs over the years.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Artificial grass like they use for sports fields should be resistant to dog created paths. There are several folks in my neighborhood with artificial grass that only looks fake because there are no "less green" areas or weeds.
    8.5k gallon IG pebble sheen play pool with Intellitouch control, Intellifo VF, IC 20, Rainbow tab feeder (not currently in use), Pentaire mystery cartridge filter with labels faded to the point I have no idea on the model, Intellibrite 5g LED light, Hayward Navigator. Adding IntelliPh and Crestron control next.