Older In ground Liner Pool skimmer and stair gaskets

PunKid

Jun 2, 2015
Hanson/MA
Creating a new post for myself because using the search function I found conflicting answers to these questions.

1 When replacing the skimmer face plate and gasket(s) what is the order of components.
2 when replacing the return (eyeball) face plate and gasket(s) what is the order of components.
3 when replacing the fiberglass steps trim and gasket (s) what is the order of components.

Currently my hayward skimmer is like this (non wide mouth)
Skimmer housing --- gasket (assumed)--- Metal wall --- foam --- gasket --- liner --- face plate --- water.
after reviewing the instructions on liner for a new hayward skimmer they do not require a gasket between the liner and the metal wall. But do require a gasket between the liner and face plate. they also don't make mention of foam. My thought is to try and cut back the foam and then reinstall like their instructions but maybe add an extra gasket between metal wall and liner.
final assembly
Skimmer housing --- gasket (assumed)--- Metal wall --- gasket --- liner --- gasket --- face plate --- water.

On my returns i believe its just a face plate and liner, I have not tried to pull the liner off fitting yet. But I am thinking doing same thing sandwiching the liner with two gaskets
Return fitting --- gasket --- liner --- gasket --- face plate --- water

On the fiberglass stairs the trim is shaped like a shallow C and the stairs have grooves that receive the trim.
Currently
Fiberglass Stairs --- gasket --- liner --- trim
I am thinking that this is correct because the C on the trim and grooves on the stairls almost crimps the liner to the 1 gasket. 2 gaskets would probably be too thick.

Any problem with running a gasket on either side of the liner for the returns and skimmer, even though the manufacture does not specify it?

brief history on the pool
20x40 liner pool install in 1979. 2 returns 2 skimmers no main drain. I bought the house in Nov of 2014, pool was last used in summer of 2010. It had two years with a cover and two years without. last summer I was able to scoop all leaves and get pool blue and working again. halfway through the summer I noticed I was losing water (about 2 to 3 inches per week) and determined it was in the pool (not the pump or lines). uncovered the pool this spring and only have about 12inchs of water in the shallow end, so all signs point to the stairs gasket.
Noticed that the lower trim of the stairs gasket is not locked into the grooves like it should, my thought it 4 years of dormant it was able to stay sealed, but after a year of use that lower trim just worked its way loose and the gasket is no longer holding.

I hope to have some pictures for you this weekend.
thanks in advance.

OK I tackled the Stair Gasket this weekend below is some photos. The two vertical trims had good gasket coverage under the liner and it all felt like it was working well. The bottom horizontal trim gasket was very slimy or not even there, so it must have been where the leak was. The other problem (I did not get a good photo) was the bottom trim was last installed about 1/2 below the factory location. It looks like this was done because the liner shifted or was cut too short so they made new holes lower. With the liner being that short there was no way to use the original holes so I had to use those lower holes again. To help seal the lower trim I added foam to the inside of the trim to help squeeze everything because they would not be able to lock into those grooves. I finished everything thing off with a bead of silicone. I also cleaned the steps the next day, although forgot to take a photo of that. Once the water is back up to a normal level I will tackle the skimmers.
2016-04-23 (1).jpg 2016-04-23 (3).jpg

Attachments

• 2016-04-23.jpg
    2016-04-23.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 37
Glad to find your post, I have a gasket problem on the bottom of my pool stairs too.
The water level stops just below the bottom stair plate and the rubber gasket is sticking out the top of the trim allowing water to leak out on the underneath side.
Question: Where did you purchase another gasket for the bottom stairs trim plate?

And did your repair fix the leak?
I've been told that I need to replace my liner in order to fix this problem, but my liner is in good shape.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.