Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Auto cover won't open

1. Back To Top    #1

Auto cover won't open

Hey all, getting ready to open my pool for the season and the cover won't open. I hit the switch and it just buzzes/hums. Any idea what could be going on? Is the water level maybe too low?
    Pool: 28K gal, vinyl lined, rectangular, auto cover
    Equipment: Mineral Springs MS-10 SWG, Raypak 266A heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Pentair superflo 1hp 2spd pump, Polaris PB4-60 booster pump and Polaris 280 cleaner. TF-100 w/speed-stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Auto cover won't open

Thought I would bump this post to see if you ever got your cover issue resolved. I personally don't have a cover so I can't really contribute to the specifics, but didn't want you to think we didn't see your post. I wouldn't see why the water level would matter though. A buzz/hum tells me you're getting power, but perhaps the motor itself is frozen (grit, rust, or mechanically - not cold), so perhaps there's a manual override or disengagement/release option? Again, not my specific area of expertise, but wanted to check on your anyways.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Thought I would bump this post to see if you ever got your cover issue resolved. I personally don't have a cover so I can't really contribute to the specifics, but didn't want you to think we didn't see your post. I wouldn't see why the water level would matter though. A buzz/hum tells me you're getting power, but perhaps the motor itself is frozen (grit, rust, or mechanically - not cold), so perhaps there's a manual override or disengagement/release option? Again, not my specific area of expertise, but wanted to check on your anyways.
    Thank you! Ya, I have no idea what's going on. Worked fine when I closed it in September..
    Equipment: Mineral Springs MS-10 SWG, Raypak 266A heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Pentair superflo 1hp 2spd pump, Polaris PB4-60 booster pump and Polaris 280 cleaner. TF-100 w/speed-stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Did you raise the roller-ends to summer level?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Did you raise the roller-ends to summer level?
    What does that mean? I didn't lower anything in the winter?

6. Back To Top    #6

While attempting to move the cover, can you visually look at where the motor connects to the shaft of the cover reel? Remove the cover over the motor if necessary to see this. Is the motor shaft engaged with the reel shaft? Is the motor spinning or just humming in place?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    While attempting to move the cover, can you visually look at where the motor connects to the shaft of the cover reel? Remove the cover over the motor if necessary to see this. Is the motor shaft engaged with the reel shaft? Is the motor spinning or just humming in place?
    Got it going! Was just way underfilled. Where in Central MN are you? I went to school in St. Cloud and our cabin is in Alexandria. Not sure if those count as central or not ha.

8. Back To Top    #8

Is there a trick to cleaning the housing out? The housing cover has to be held open, I need more hands...

9. Back To Top    #9

Do you have a feature in the way, like a diving board? In order to clean out our "housing", we have to remove the board from its platform. Then the "housing" hatch just flips open.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ya I have a diving board, but the cover stops before hitting it

11. Back To Top    #11

Ours too. But the housing hatch won't fully open with the board in the way. How about posting a picture?

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Scsu74 View Post
    Got it going! Was just way underfilled. Where in Central MN are you? I went to school in St. Cloud and our cabin is in Alexandria. Not sure if those count as central or not ha.
    I guessed you went to SCSU by the user name. I live west of St. Cloud about 20 miles. The Alex area has some great lakes and is certainly central MN!

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons