Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How Jacked up is my water ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question How Jacked up is my water ?

This is long sorry but you need some background .This is a new pool about 2 weeks old the day after it was filled a guy with an excavator ran over my overflow line unknown to anyone the day after that it started to rain a lot !I ended up with the water 1/4 inch from the top of the pool .The builder showed up a day later cleared the over flow line then dropped off the planet! Water level was perfect after that .I assumed the pool builder was checking on it till he handed it over to me (wrong ) so 4 days later I had a low salt petri dish for two or three days ! I added salt & water got swg going again . I found you guys about 2 days later then added some bleach ordered a test kit which I got yesterday This is where I am at now .

4/21/2016 7:15am air temp 65 water temp 72
    OTO test PH 7.5 CL 15<30 ORANGE
    DPD test FC 24.5 CC 0 TC 24.5 CH 100 TA 200 CYA 40

Fill Water CL5 BR10 PH 7.5

Today I backwashed the filter Start up press was 13 psi added water to proper level added 320 oz of 10% bleach if my pool math is correct I should be at 33 FC target is 28 I cannot babysit the pool because I haven't moved in yet (end of the month I will) The water has started to clear some I can see the sides on the deep end now I will check chemistry again in the morning am I missing anything ? This is South Alabama your always about 10 min from a thunder storm!
    S/W/G Intellichlor IC 40 29k Vinyl I/G 18x36 Rectangle Hayward S 244 T filter Pentair Superflo 1.25 h/p pump Polaris TR35P Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How Jacked up is my water ?

Well I'm just starting out myself. I do know cya should be 60-70 for SWG 40 is too low. That's what keeps your FC up. PH is good. But since you Have a new pool you should which your PH it will rise quickly with new finish.
    17x 30 rectangular pool 17x5 splash pad, with rasied spa 6x5 with spillover built October 2015. Quartzscapes Barbados blue finish. Jandy 1.5 horsepower 2 speed pump. Jandy aquapure SWG. Gulfstream heat pump with chiller. Great White vacuum. T-100 test kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

Your CYA is low for a SWG pool, but don't raise it yet. Since you need to "SLAM" your pool, you might as well save on bleach. Your FC Shock/SLAM level is actually 16, so you can let that FC level drop a bit. That high and you're not making it go faster, only losing the extra FC to the sun. You'll need to follow everything on the SLAM page (link below), but that may tough if you're not living there yet. Do your best. Also, would you mind clarifying exactly which test kit you ordered? Thanks.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by texas splash View Post
    your cya is low for a swg pool, but don't raise it yet. Since you need to "slam" your pool, you might as well save on bleach. your fc shock/slam level is actually 16, so you can let that fc level drop a bit. That high and you're not making it go faster, only losing the extra fc to the sun. You'll need to follow everything on the slam page (link below), but that may tough if you're not living there yet. Do your best. Also, would you mind clarifying exactly which test kit you ordered? Thanks.
    tf-100
    S/W/G Intellichlor IC 40 29k Vinyl I/G 18x36 Rectangle Hayward S 244 T filter Pentair Superflo 1.25 h/p pump Polaris TR35P Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

It sounds like you're SLAMming, so don't bother checking anything but FC & CC until it clears. The more often you brush and add bleach to maintain the FC levels, the faster it will go. Since it's only a couple weeks old, you shouldn't have huge amounts of soggy debris to scoop out. It'll probably turn blue-grey in a day and slowly clear for a few days after. Watch the filter pressure.

Just so you know, the fastest SLAM I recall here was three days -- but that guy was obsessed and got up every two hours all night long for three days to test and dose and brush and vacuum.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

We got ya! Take a deep breath...........you are on the right path now with your own test kit. I am going to give you a link since your plaster is new:

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

I am also going to give you the links and such I give to all new people:

Print these out:

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    We got ya! Take a deep breath...........you are on the right path now with your own test kit. I am going to give you a link since your plaster is new:

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

I am also going to give you the links and such I give to all new people:

Print these out:

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Kim
    Thanks already done! Chris

8. Back To Top    #8

How is your water looking now? Have you been taking pics to watch the progress? That will allow you see see it when you eyes cannot see it day to day.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Question if I half my sample size to 5 ml what is my cal factor 1?

10. Back To Top    #10

Blue and Grey I can see the floor drain legibly for the first time in days

11. Back To Top    #11

One thing to note, your Ph test does not read correctly when FC is over about 10 ppm, so ignore pH until you get the FC back down after things have cleared up
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

you asked "Question if I half my sample size to 5 ml what is my cal factor 1? " Yes, the factor would be 1. Okay to do during a SLaM but not recommended for everyday.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok since my cya is only 40 I'm going to let the fc start down to below 20 someone said that the target was 16 is this correct?

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks everybody for paying attention to my problem I appreciate the quick responses

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Archlight1170 View Post
    Ok since my cya is only 40 I'm going to let the fc start down to below 20 someone said that the target was 16 is this correct?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Yes, for a SLAM with CYA at 40, your target FC is 16. Here is a link to the chart Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    11,500 Gal Fiberglass IG Pool. Hayward cartridge filter with Pentair 3/4 HP pump
    500 Gal Fiberglass AG Spa with cartridge filter
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

16. Back To Top    #16

I asked about halving my sample size to 5 ml Then I read this (For extremely high FC levels, you can use 5ml sample water and 5ml chlorine-free water (e.g. distilled water); then each drop of R-0871 counts 1ppm FC/CC. This can save on test reagent.) so I still need 10 ml sample ? Or can I just use 5 ml of pool water to test? Confused...

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

It's still only a 5mL sample. Just that some folks have trouble seeing 5mL in their tube. So by adding the distilled water, it might be easier to see. It's still just 5mL of pool water so that's what matters for the factor of 1ppm
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir