When to open pool

rdy2fly

Bronze Supporter
May 25, 2015
Wichita KS
Hello all! I'm looking for some advice on when to set up my new Intex pool. I live in the Midwest and currently (looking at Accuweather's extended forecast) it looks like a lot of rain off and on with the temps not getting into the 90's until late June.
I have the groundwork almost done but hesitant to actually put up the pool until it's warm enough to actually swim. Is there any good reason to put it up now and maintain it for another couple months if I won't really be able to use it? Never have had a pool before. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello all! I'm looking for some advice on when to set up my new Intex pool. I live in the Midwest and currently (looking at Accuweather's extended forecast) it looks like a lot of rain off and on with the temps not getting into the 90's until late June.
I have the groundwork almost done but hesitant to actually put up the pool until it's warm enough to actually swim. Is there any good reason to put it up now and maintain it for another couple months if I won't really be able to use it? Never have had a pool before. Thanks!

It's good to get it up and get your water chemistry balanced and ready. That way if you run into any snags you will have time to get them straightened out before swimming weather hits!

We installed our pool last May and boy did it take way longer than planned.....hopefully your install is seamless. Be sure to post pictures of your progress! Everyone here is so helpful....and they know what they are talking about!

I just opened mine. I'll maintain it until it warms up enough to swim. That could be May or June.

You should set it up about a week or two before you think that you will use it. This will give you some time in case of any issues. Otherwise you will be wasting a lot of money in bleach and electricity. We were swimming in my pool the same day that I set it up. I must have good tap water because I have always filled it and added chemicals and have never had to slam or shock my pools.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am excited about my first pool, just didn't want to jump the gun if it was going to be a waste. I don't have a heater, so not sure how much it will get used until it's really hot out. But we'll see!

I got mine from 55 to a high of 72 in 3 days! But alas the weather changed and it's back to 69. Chemistry is close, clarity is good, next time it's over 70 I'm in!

Cheers,

- - - Updated - - -

Get yourself a solar setup, you may find you gain a few weeks at the beginning and the end of summer.

Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This brings up a question for me - warmth will not be an issue for long here in AZ!!! Although we are supposed to have a little cold spell next week (from mid-90s today down to about 80 for a couple of days next week) - it will heat back up quickly. BUT, is there a thread that tells me what to do before we actually start swimming? Goal is to have the pool up tomorrow afternoon - what chemicals should I be getting to put in right away - my TF-100 wont be here until next week.

This brings up a question for me - warmth will not be an issue for long here in AZ!!! Although we are supposed to have a little cold spell next week (from mid-90s today down to about 80 for a couple of days next week) - it will heat back up quickly. BUT, is there a thread that tells me what to do before we actually start swimming? Goal is to have the pool up tomorrow afternoon - what chemicals should I be getting to put in right away - my TF-100 wont be here until next week.

You will need bleach (household is fine or any liquid chlorine as long as it is at least 8%), some stabilizer, and muriatic acid (MA). Muriatic Acid is used to lower PH - but the first couple of things you will use is the bleach (chlorine) and stabilizer. There is a link somewhere in here called the pool school. You will want to read that and get to understanding the chemistry - but it s SUPER easy! Best of luck of your setup - Nichole

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.