Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Simple valve sizing question...

1. Back To Top    #1

Simple valve sizing question...

I'm having issues with my pool heater. I want to be able to be able to bypass the heater when needed. I can't afford the fix so until I can fix the heater, I just want to change the flow to the pool. When I get a new heater I just want to change the flow to the new heater.

I need a 3 port positive seal valve. There is a 2" pvc pipe coming from the filter to the heater. There is a 2" pvc pipe coming from the heater out to the pool. I'm simply confused at all the available valves sizes. I would have thought the would be a 2"-2" valve. One 2" in, two separate 2" out. I know they exist since there is a valve in my setup that is exactly what I want. I am looking at Jandy models and I don't see a 2"-2" positive seal 3 port valve.

I know I am missing something fundamentally with measurements!!!!

4716 Jandy Pro Series Neverlube 2 - 2 1/2" Positive Seal, 2 Port Valve
    4717 Jandy Pro Series Neverlube 2"-2 1/2", Positive Seal 3 Port Valve
    4724 Jandy Pro Series Neverlube 1 1/2-2" Positive Seal, 2 Port Valve
    4944 Jandy Pro Series Neverlube 2" -2 1/2", Positive Seal 3 Port Valve
    4945 Jandy Pro Series Neverlube 1 1/2-2" Positive Seal, 3 Port Valve, internal and external stop, B23

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Simple valve sizing question...

Jandy valves do something I wish pipe manufacturers would do: they make the ends dual-sized. So the smaller diameter is the inside pipe size, and the larger diameter is what size coupler fits on the outside. It just depends on how you want to connect things. You can use any of them.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Simple valve sizing question...

I would suggest the 2"-2.5" size. They are bigger, less head loss and have a similar price. Also they you do not need to use couplers, the 2" pipe goes right into the valve.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!