Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black dots in Quartz finish

1. Back To Top    #1

Black dots in Quartz finish

My pool has a sky blue Quartz finish. I have been noticing black dots in the Quartz. I put on a mask and went diving. It is not Algae. Its like parts of the peebles in the finish are turning black. They look like a tiny mark from a sharpie. They are flat within the finish itself. I have tried vitamin c tabs, Chlorine puck and tried to brush and scrape them. Nothing works. Has anyone ever heard of this problem?

My current numbers are from today. Water is clear and 77 degrees.

FC - 5.4
    CC - 0
    Ph 7.8
    TA -100
    CH - 320
    cya - 80
    Salt - 3200
    14000 gallon SWG gunite/quartz plaster,450 swimclear cartridge filters, 2hp pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Black dots in Quartz finish

I think I have the same thing. We bought the house about a year ago and supposedly the pool finish had been redone but who knows how well. It seems like not long after we moved in, I started noticing the black dots. We did the scrub with a puck and nothing came off so it appeared to be permanent. The black dots (which I guess are imbedded particles of something) are still there. I seem to notice more of them but all seems well with the pool finish integrity.
    Approx. 20k gal, kidney-shaped, inground, concrete pool built in 1974. 33' long. 18', 14', & 15' across. 3' to 8' deep. Hayward cartridge filter (c1200e). 1 hp, single speed motor replaced 12/2015. In-line Pentair 320 Chlorine/Bromine feeder (do not use). Screened.

3. Back To Top    #3

Exactly, They do seem imbedded in the finish. Not sure why its happening though. And is it going to get to the point where the whole finish is black? No one seems to know!!!
    14000 gallon SWG gunite/quartz plaster,450 swimclear cartridge filters, 2hp pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by mehyler View Post
    Exactly, They do seem imbedded in the finish. Not sure why its happening though. And is it going to get to the point where the whole finish is black? No one seems to know!!!
    No, I don't have any fear that the finish is going to all (or even mostly) black. Still looks fine. I'm sure no one else looking at the pool would even notice.

Approx. 20k gal, kidney-shaped, inground, concrete pool built in 1974. 33' long. 18', 14', & 15' across. 3' to 8' deep. Hayward cartridge filter (c1200e). 1 hp, single speed motor replaced 12/2015. In-line Pentair 320 Chlorine/Bromine feeder (do not use). Screened.