Should be looking somewhere else?

Jul 1, 2010
Kaufman, Texas
We keep our pool balanced over the winter (N-TX - east of Dallas). As part of opening, we do a mustard algae level shock. This year, we've had a tough time keeping the FC up over night. We've been at it over 2 week, and I'm wondering if I should carry on or look somewhere else for the issue. We're loosing about 6 ppm overnight and about 12 ppm (sunny day). We have had lots of rain, so I know that could be slowing the process down.

New chemical refills (TF-100) / using 8.25% bleach (walmart) and 65% calHypo granular (leslie's brand) - alternating for shock. I use poolcalculator.com to adjust my chemicals/ 30,000gal - variable depth; running the robotic pool cleaner to grab dead stuff as we go
Hubby is brushing sides at least every other day. Readings tonight (after taking it back to 26 TC this morning)

TC - 20
CC - 1 (fluctuates between .5 and 1)
FC - 19
pH - between 7.8 and 8.0 (high, but I kind of expected it with high chlorine level)
TA - 90 (high for my pool, but also expected at this point)
Borates - 30 (where I expected it to be)
CYA - 30

I'm considering upping the CYA to try and hold the FC a little more steady, but not being able to break the CC is worrisome. Do you think it might just be the frequent rains? My plan was to bring the pH/TA back down into range after we get a good overnight. I also have enough boric acid to get my Borates back to 40 for the season.

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated as always!
Rachael

Hi Rachael. Based on everything you're saying, I would recommend letting the FC settle down to 12, which is where it should be for your CYA of 30, and continue a SLAM. After you pass the regular SLAM, then you can take the FC up a few notches to the prescribed mustard algae level for 24 hours if needed. In the meantime, make sure you've checked everything and anything in your pool (ladder, light niche, etc) anything that could hold algae. Something is chewing that stuff (FC) up at night, so the CYA level has nothing to do with it. Maintain that FC of 12 and follow everything on the SLAM page below. Be patient and consistent and you should see results. Keep us posted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.