Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should be looking somewhere else?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should be looking somewhere else?

We keep our pool balanced over the winter (N-TX - east of Dallas). As part of opening, we do a mustard algae level shock. This year, we've had a tough time keeping the FC up over night. We've been at it over 2 week, and I'm wondering if I should carry on or look somewhere else for the issue. We're loosing about 6 ppm overnight and about 12 ppm (sunny day). We have had lots of rain, so I know that could be slowing the process down.

New chemical refills (TF-100) / using 8.25% bleach (walmart) and 65% calHypo granular (leslie's brand) - alternating for shock. I use poolcalculator.com to adjust my chemicals/ 30,000gal - variable depth; running the robotic pool cleaner to grab dead stuff as we go
    Hubby is brushing sides at least every other day. Readings tonight (after taking it back to 26 TC this morning)

TC - 20
    CC - 1 (fluctuates between .5 and 1)
    FC - 19
    pH - between 7.8 and 8.0 (high, but I kind of expected it with high chlorine level)
    TA - 90 (high for my pool, but also expected at this point)
    Borates - 30 (where I expected it to be)
    CYA - 30

I'm considering upping the CYA to try and hold the FC a little more steady, but not being able to break the CC is worrisome. Do you think it might just be the frequent rains? My plan was to bring the pH/TA back down into range after we get a good overnight. I also have enough boric acid to get my Borates back to 40 for the season.

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated as always!
    Rachael
    21x41 Oval Doughboy Autumn Breeze installed mostly inground
    Vari-depth Vinyl liner (4ft/6.5ft - about 30K gallon)
    1HP Jandy ProFlow / Jandy CV460 Cartridge Filter
    Maytronics Dolphin Premier Robotic Cleaner
    TF-100 for chemistry / BBB Method / Borates

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should be looking somewhere else?

Hi Rachael. Based on everything you're saying, I would recommend letting the FC settle down to 12, which is where it should be for your CYA of 30, and continue a SLAM. After you pass the regular SLAM, then you can take the FC up a few notches to the prescribed mustard algae level for 24 hours if needed. In the meantime, make sure you've checked everything and anything in your pool (ladder, light niche, etc) anything that could hold algae. Something is chewing that stuff (FC) up at night, so the CYA level has nothing to do with it. Maintain that FC of 12 and follow everything on the SLAM page below. Be patient and consistent and you should see results. Keep us posted.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Look behind lights and inside ladder rungs for lurking algae. Also, huge amounts of organic debris inside the filter or baskets will consume a lot of FC. Check out the pictures in these threads:

Ladder Problem Found and Ideas needed
    Another ladder Water problems
    Pool light Think I may have found my FC demand issue?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

We have one of those wedding cake steps and I have to get in there every year with a snorkle and a scrub brush - I try to wait until the temp is up to at least 70 before I hop in Thanks!
    21x41 Oval Doughboy Autumn Breeze installed mostly inground
    Vari-depth Vinyl liner (4ft/6.5ft - about 30K gallon)
    1HP Jandy ProFlow / Jandy CV460 Cartridge Filter
    Maytronics Dolphin Premier Robotic Cleaner
    TF-100 for chemistry / BBB Method / Borates

5. Back To Top    #5

how does the water look? if you have algae outbreak, then loosing your FC makes sense.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;