Brand New Pool Owner

Mar 17, 2016
Villa Park/Illinois
Just finished filling the pool and had the pool filled by a tanker but it was about 4 inches shy so I filled the rest with my well water. Pump and filter hooked up with inline chlorinator. I haven't run the pump or added DE yet. Here are my first readings
Fc 0Cc 0
Ch 200
TA 170
Cya the black dot never went away.

So now what should I do?

Hello! Begin the following:
1 - Black dot visible means zero. Add stabilizer for an initial CYA target of 30 ppm
2 - Add bleach for an initial FC target of 3 ppm on day 1; after that increase to about 5 ppm
3 - pH? Adjust to the mid 7s
4 - TA is high and will probably need to be lowered over time as you add acid. Not a priority at the moment, just keep in mind later.
5 - CH is normally N/A for vinyl, but you have a heater so you may want to check your heater owners manual.

Hope that helps.

Hello! Begin the following:
1 - Black dot visible means zero. Add stabilizer for an initial CYA target of 30 ppm
2 - Add bleach for an initial FC target of 3 ppm on day 1; after that increase to about 5 ppm
3 - pH? Adjust to the mid 7s
4 - TA is high and will probably need to be lowered over time as you add acid. Not a priority at the moment, just keep in mind later.
5 - CH is normally N/A for vinyl, but you have a heater so you may want to check your heater owners manual.

Hope that helps.

Great thanks I am so excited! PS I don't have the heater hooked up yet. I literally just got finished filling the pool.

It's possible excess DE could get pushed out of your return jets. If you were really concerned about the psi, I suppose you could maybe do a "quick" backwash to help eliminate extra DE. Do too much though and you're right back to where you started. :brickwall:

I was afraid of that. There are folks that are more familiar with those, but I believe you will need to remove part of it, so that you don't end up adding unwanted metals into your water.

Since it's brand new, you might be able to remove it and replace it with a simple SWG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you do a search on our site for Nature2, you will find many posts just like this one...

Nature2 adds metals to the water, which help prevent the growth of algae. However, effective levels of metals are also prone to causing unsightly stains, and chlorine alone takes care of algae just fine with minimal effort. We strongly recommend against any system that adds metals to the water.

Nature2 is usually installed for free by the builder, who often gets paid by the Nature2 people to install it in the hope that the new pool owner will spend lots of money on replacement cartridges.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem with that is it's either adding extra Calcium or CYA along with the chlorine. Do you know which?

A look around here will show that there are lots of folks spending lots of time and money trying to get rid of copper stains from their pools. I strongly advise not to intentionally add copper to your pool.

You need some bleach or chlorine in there to get that FC up. Should be at least 4 right now. Based on your current CYA. BTW we round up to the next highest so use 30 when you look at the table.
And you're going to need to drop that TA a bit or the pH is going to rise.

Oh, and stop with the 'shock' and powders and other magic potions from the pool $tore. All you need is bleach and a few other things you can get at the grocery store.

Looking back through your thread, I don't see where a SLAM was ever required. In fact, this was a new fill correct? But I am concerned about the elevated CC. That could just be from the new water itself. Your FC is slightly elevated for a normal day (not SLAMming), which is probably good right now. I would keep it that way for a day or two and watch the CC. If it (CC) gets higher or the water starts to get cloudy, kick the FC up to 12 for a SLAM. Hope that helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.