Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: getting ready to start the Autopilot

1. Back To Top    #1

getting ready to start the Autopilot

We got the manifold all plumbed in last night, and we're getting ready to power up the Autopilot.

Here are my numbers:
    FC 3
    ph 7.2
    alk 90
    cya 40
    salt 3500

I'm going to raise my cya to about 70, but my real concern is with the low ph. After getting the alk down to 90 (from 120) using acid and aeration, I can't get the ph to budge any higher than 7.2 (after 4 days aeration--fountains & returns only.)
    Is 7.2 acceptable to start the Autopilot or should I add Borax to tweak the ph higher? I know the target is 7.5, but won't the ph creep up when the Autopilot starts producing chlorine?

23K IG vinyl, Autopilot SWG, 1 HP Aqua-Flo Dominator Pump, 30" Cooper Ranger series sand filter, 1 skimmer, 3 jets, 2 fountains, 2 main drains.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: getting ready to start the Autopilot

It should rise once the SWG is operating. I'd leave it alone for now, won't hurt anything. Get that CYA up though.

Good luck!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: getting ready to start the Autopilot

PH at 7.2 is acceptable for swimming and the AutoPilot. Once the SWG is running, the PH will probably start drifting up slowly and get up to a better level, so no need to adjust it right now.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School