Just ordered ionizer to help prevent algae.

Sep 1, 2014
Italy
Split by moderator from HERE. Please start your own discussions in your own threads. Thanks, jblizzle

Just started looking at these solar copper/silver Ionizers and this particular model by Remington seems to just be a badged Chinese product as you can buy it un-badged on alibaba for a lot lot less and other makers of basically the exact same thing. I live in Italy and the Remington is not available here so I just purchased 3 from china all in including delivery for only $165 (Each item was only $35 and the rest was delivery cost).

I don't have amazing expectations but hopefully it will make my life easier, I have an SWG and even so I regularly get green pool mainly because the top up water I have available comes from a lake and has tones of algae in it meaning I am basically making it easy for algae to get a hold, I even had mustard algae last year. This year I plan on filling a large'ish reserve with the fill water first and mini shocking it before I actually put it into the pool, hopefully this will help also.

The other thing I have is very hard water so I am hoping that the solar Ionizer will remove some of that that and stop it growing on the tiles, Also here in Europe it is really difficult to find CYA other than as part of another product like diclor or triclor. In previous years I would use diclor for the whole season and would end up with really high CYA and Calcium so now I have found pure CYA finally and will be putting just what I need, using the SWG and occasionally if needed using pure Sodium Hyperclorite to shock.

I would suggest those using Ionizers to keep your daily CL levels as normal and just use it as an extra defence, it is harmless to humans and so you can probably reduce your need to shock so often and as a bit of a buffer for those occasions when you forget to maintain your pool properly as we all do from time to time.

I am determined that this year is going to be a non-green pool year. :)

Re: What Are Your Thoughts On Remington Solar Chlorine-Free Sun Shock?

Just started looking at these solar copper/silver Ionizers and this particular model by Remington seems to just be a badged Chinese product as you can buy it un-badged on alibaba for a lot lot less and other makers of basically the exact same thing. I live in Italy and the Remington is not available here so I just purchased 3 from china all in including delivery for only $165 (Each item was only $35 and the rest was delivery cost).

I don't have amazing expectations but hopefully it will make my life easier, I have an SWG and even so I regularly get green pool mainly because the top up water I have available comes from a lake and has tones of algae in it meaning I am basically making it easy for algae to get a hold, I even had mustard algae last year. This year I plan on filling a large'ish reserve with the fill water first and mini shocking it before I actually put it into the pool, hopefully this will help also.

The other thing I have is very hard water so I am hoping that the solar Ionizer will remove some of that that and stop it growing on the tiles, Also here in Europe it is really difficult to find CYA other than as part of another product like diclor or triclor. In previous years I would use diclor for the whole season and would end up with really high CYA and Calcium so now I have found pure CYA finally and will be putting just what I need, using the SWG and occasionally if needed using pure Sodium Hyperclorite to shock.

I would suggest those using Ionizers to keep your daily CL levels as normal and just use it as an extra defence, it is harmless to humans and so you can probably reduce your need to shock so often and as a bit of a buffer for those occasions when you forget to maintain your pool properly as we all do from time to time.

I am determined that this year is going to be a non-green pool year. :)
I am afraid you are going to be disappointed. While the system may keep the algae at bay, that does not make the water sanitary and safe to swim in. And adding metals into the water could cause green hair and staining of your pool, which is MUCH harder to deal with that algae. They will also not do anything about your CH levels.

Your problem is lack of adequate FC that is a function of the CYA according to the FC/CYA Chart.

You can not maintain a pool exclusively on dichlor, because the CYA is constantly building up and thus requiring higher FC levels.

You have been a member for over a year, I wish you would have posted up and maybe we could have gotten you to save the money on the Ionizers and invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits, which you still need if you want to avoid continued problems.

Re: What Are Your Thoughts On Remington Solar Chlorine-Free Sun Shock?

Sorry to take so long to respond to you jblizzle, I was not subbed automatically to the post so never knew you replied.

I am afraid you are going to be disappointed. While the system may keep the algae at bay, that does not make the water sanitary and safe to swim in. And adding metals into the water could cause green hair and staining of your pool, which is MUCH harder to deal with that algae. They will also not do anything about your CH levels.

Your problem is lack of adequate FC that is a function of the CYA according to the FC/CYA Chart.

You can not maintain a pool exclusively on dichlor, because the CYA is constantly building up and thus requiring higher FC levels.

You have been a member for over a year, I wish you would have posted up and maybe we could have gotten you to save the money on the Ionizers and invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits, which you still need if you want to avoid continued problems.

Okay so year later I have to say I think they worked well. Last year was very clear water and no algae to speak of. I do believe they removed a ton of Calcium which I brushed off of the copper anode and I didnt see it growing in between the pool tiles as I did in previous years. Also as I was able to find none-combined CYA I was able to keep that at a good level and just use bleach to shock and the SWG to maintain.

This year however it is all change, new cartridge filter, new much more powerful SWG and repiped in rigid PVC so I am hoping for an even better year.

regards

Sam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.