Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stains on steps

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Stains on steps

I have just started to look after a neighbours liner pool with the plastic steps. I have noticed on the steps that there are dark stains appearing randomley on the steps only. Where each stain appears, it has raised the platic and seems to give the impression that it has split the plastic.
    There are no metal elements to the pool ie pools steps, and the pool is a normal liquid chlorinated pool. Chlorine is at 2.8 ph is 7.5, and the current pool temp is 20c.
    I have added a picture to see if anyone has seen this before.

20160421_145400.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stains on steps

Are those stairs fiberglass? That sounds like a fiberglass blister in the gelcoat from a defect.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Yes they are fiberglass. Sorry I always call them plastic. I am guessing that the pool is over 10yrs old, so would the blistering start to happen over a period of time, or is it something that happens when the pool is "just old"? Also is there anything that would have helped in progressing the blistering, eg high/low pH, calcium etc/
    Thank you for your help as I would just like to know for future reference.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm not sure what causes it. I believe that it is water infiltration through the gelcoat due to age. I don't think it is related to water chemistry. Same thing happens on boat hulls over time.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Ok thank you very much for your help.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have the same thing on my fiberglass steps. Crushed (non coated) vitamin c pills will get rid of the stains for a couple of weeks. Then it comes back. Put the pills in a old sock or piece of t shirt and then whack them with a hammer a few times. Spots will rub off pretty quick.

Mark, Pool: 30,000 gallon, IG Vinyl, Pentair Superflo Variable Speed 1.5 HP pump, Hayward S220T Sand Filter, Taylor k-2006 Test kit with speedstir. Dolphin Nautilus Plus.
    Hot Tub: Hot Spring Grandee 450 Gallons, Ace System (Salt water Chlorine Generator) Dichlor / Bleach method. Taylor K1766 Salt Test.