Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy water

Hey TFP, just opened my pool up this week (Northern Virginia), topped off pool with tap water, brushed out a few leaves. Water was not crystal clear when i took off cover, but i was happy with how it did over the winter. I washed my Cartridge filter overnight using TFS. Put everything together and was ready to go. I checked levels of pool FC was showing 0, I shocked pool hard, the amount of bleach i put in would bring levels up to 12, after 2 hours, checked FC was 4, continued shocking, fc finally stable at 12. The shallow end of my pool looks fantastic, unfortunately the deep on is a little bit cloudy. Will this go away if i keep running the filter, or does more need to be done?

FC 12
    pH 7.6
    TA 80
    CH Didnt check
    CYA 30
    Above Ground Kayak Pool 12 x 24. 10,000 gallons.
    Northern Virginia
    TF-100 Test Kit
    sta-rite 27002-0100S filter
    Sta-rite 1.5hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy water

Without seeing all your test results it's hard to tell. You might need to perform a "SLAM". That would be my best guess. If you continue to lose FC more than normal and the water remains cloudy, that's a good bet. Or you could perform an overnight test (OCLT).

Also, make sure to review the Pool School - Opening Your Winterized Above Ground Pool page just to be safe on everything else.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

FC 12
    pH 7.6
    TA 80
    CH Didnt check
    CYA 30
    Above Ground Kayak Pool 12 x 24. 10,000 gallons.
    Northern Virginia
    TF-100 Test Kit
    sta-rite 27002-0100S filter
    Sta-rite 1.5hp pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Those numbers look solid, although you didn't post CC. You might want to check to see if those are over .5. Since you're at the SLAM level already, I would just press-on with that and do an OCLT once the water clears. That's probably your best option. Shouldn't take long at all based on what you're describing.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!