Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New VS Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

New VS Pump

I am getting a new Pentair Super Flow VS pump installed and looking for a surge protector. Not much for the electrical stuff, but I have 2 slots open in my pool electrical box and would prefer something that would go in the box.
    Would this be something good? Eaton CH230SURCS Circuit Breaker and Surge Protective Device - - Amazon.com

The more I research the more confused I get on what to select. Saw some comments about 1 phase vs 2 phase. The existing and new pump would be 220, does that mean I need a 2 phase surge suppressor?

Thanks
    Mark, Pool: 30,000 gallon, IG Vinyl, Pentair Superflo Variable Speed 1.5 HP pump, Hayward S220T Sand Filter, Taylor k-2006 Test kit with speedstir. Dolphin Nautilus Plus.
    Hot Tub: Hot Spring Grandee 450 Gallons, Ace System (Salt water Chlorine Generator) Dichlor / Bleach method. Taylor K1766 Salt Test.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New VS Pump

You need single phase. Yes that is OK, or this, Square D QO SurgeBreaker Surge Protective Device Takes 2 Load Center Spaces-QO2175SB - The Home Depot

Just need to make sure you get one that fits your style of breaker.

Or something like this if you have access to a knock out in your panel. Square D Panel Mounted Single Phase Type 1 Surge Protective Device-SDSA1175 - The Home Depot
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

For breaker style, I found the below link. The panel is a Cutler-Hammer. Based on the link below it looks like a Square D "QO" is compatible with a Cutler-Hammer type "CHQ". I guess now the question is, how do I know my Cutler-Hammer is a type "CHQ"? How do you know what breaker style you have?
    This is way more complicated then I expected.
    Choosing the Right Circuit Breakersat The Home Depot

Found a label on the panel that says to use Breaker styles, BD, BQ, BQC, BR, BRAF, BRD, BRSN, BRWH, GFCB. OP, GFEP. So I guess I dont have a match.
    Mark, Pool: 30,000 gallon, IG Vinyl, Pentair Superflo Variable Speed 1.5 HP pump, Hayward S220T Sand Filter, Taylor k-2006 Test kit with speedstir. Dolphin Nautilus Plus.
    Hot Tub: Hot Spring Grandee 450 Gallons, Ace System (Salt water Chlorine Generator) Dichlor / Bleach method. Taylor K1766 Salt Test.

4. Back To Top    #4

It is a little complicated. What I usually do is either of these two

A- go buy what I think I need, take it home, doesn't fit, go back and hope I get the right thing on the second trip

B- take out a breaker and take it with me to compare with what they have at the store.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Two phase power has not been used in the states in years. for a 240 volt service, you need a double pole breaker. Are you sure the panel buss has room for two more slots or are there just knockouts for them?

Edit: ... Some parts of Philadelphia still use 2 phase.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Don't lengthen the white wire on the breaker and run the shortest and straightest run to the neutral bar, if you have to move other 2-slot breakers to put this in an optimal position do it. That being said, I'd investigate what your panel's requirements are, what are the common failure modes in the VS control panel and that would determine what type and specs for the surge protector. Your links should work for just the pool equipment, but for whole house I'd go with something better.

This blog here has a good breakdown on types and features in surge protection: What Whole-House Surge Protection?
    10-15K gal IG Pebbletec (Pool), Shasta/Pentair Triton TR-100 Sand filter, Pentair Ultraflow Single Speed Pump, Hayward Aquarite AQR15 Chlorine Generator, A&A QuickClean Floor Pop-Ups (Plumbing Picture), UltraPure Oxidizer [removed]

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up going with the square D external, seems like the easiest and there is enough space outside the box to fit.