Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Auto pool leveler question

1. Back To Top    #1

Auto pool leveler question

My pool has an auto pool leveler. The problem is the float was not present when I bought the house. I went to Leslie's to pick one up. The thread on what I bought is straight (non-tapered) thread, and the female end inside the leveler "skimmer" area is tapered pipe thread. Therefore, they aren't compatible. From what I've read, what I bought is the standard. Where could I get one with the appropriate thread? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks much in advance!
    Approx 25k gallon PebbleTec in-ground diving pool and attached raised (10 person?) spa, with spillover and waterfall.
    Hayward AquaLogic PS-4 control board, Hayward SP3400VSP Ecostar pump, Hayward C5520CP cartridge filter, Hayward H400FDN 400k BTU NG heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Auto pool leveler question

There are different designs for the auto levelers. What model do you have can you post pictures?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

There wasn't one there when I moved in. This is what I bought that does not work, however...

Approx 25k gallon PebbleTec in-ground diving pool and attached raised (10 person?) spa, with spillover and waterfall.
    Hayward AquaLogic PS-4 control board, Hayward SP3400VSP Ecostar pump, Hayward C5520CP cartridge filter, Hayward H400FDN 400k BTU NG heater

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I got that same one at Ace Hardware last weekend when my float assembly broke off in my hand and it started spraying water at me.

So the issue is that the threads on the end of it don't fit into the water line in your autofill housing?

Seriously, try going to a decent hardware store and explain what you have to them. They call them "coolers" - I suppose most folks use them to keep cattle tanks filled. They will likely have something that will fit the threading on the receptacle. They might also have an adapter of some sort that will let you use the float valve that you bought.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh, so it is not just the float, you are looking for the entire float valve assembly.

You might be able to get a PVC adapter for between the 2 different threads.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

That's the issue, yep. I'll try to hit up an Ace to see if they have something using an actual tapered pipe thread, or if I can get an adapter. Thank you!!

7. Back To Top    #7

I think you need a standard male PVC thread to go in the pipe and that almost looks like a female hose bib thread for the valve.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Eric618 View Post
    There wasn't one there when I moved in. This is what I bought that does not work, however...

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
    That's meant for a swamp cooler NOT a pool autofill pot.

You want this -

Kerick Valve MA3P2 PVC Mini Float Valve, Tank Mount, Adjustable Arm, 1.5 gpm at 60 psi, 3/8 Scientific
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    That's meant for a swamp cooler NOT a pool autofill pot.

You want this -

Kerick Valve MA3P2 PVC Mini Float Valve, Tank Mount, Adjustable Arm, 1.5 gpm at 60 psi, 3/8 Scientific
    That's odd, because I bought it at Leslie's. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have an issue getting another one, but that one is listed as 3/8 as well. I don't want to spend another $10 on something else that won't fit.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

As stated by joyful noise, the pvc float is the preferred float replacement for concrete fill pots, much more user/installer friendly than the brass old style flip-n-float your holding in your pic, but those work to, at least the ones i buy from my pool parts wholesaler do, and what your holding looks just like one, the style you hold in pic can be frustrating for a first timers attempt at replacing it inside the pot, to the point of cross threading it, and damaging the threads on the pot, when trying to install the brass float it can feel awkward when trying to thread it in due to the float, linkage, etc, the fact you said it was missing to begin with somewhat indicates the previous owner had damaged the fill pot fitting, making you think it is a thread cut related issue, when it is not. they are the same style concrete fill pots that have been used for a long time, i have a tap, that if needed, can clean the fill pots damaged threads, you wont believe some of the things ive seen, that people have butchered, destroyed, or improperly installed, etc.

Generally speaking the float wont just thread on, you have to start it a turn or two by hand, then as it gets hard to turn by hand, tighten it with a pair of channel locks, a little more to orientate it, and seat it better in the pot. your not going to be threading this thing in more than a few turns no matter what. Examine the fitting on the concrete pot, the plastic pvc float assembly is the best bet though, as it being plastic, may help it to overcome any imperfection on the pot threads.

everything being normal, the float you have in your pic should work, they were commonly used for many years in fill pots, until the pvc float came along. that red washer is not used, and that nut should back off to (i could be wrong about the nut, its been awhile since i used that style float)

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks, and sorry for the delay. I really don't think the threads being boogered is the issue, although I can't say for sure. The size differential seems to be more than damaged threads could cause. I'm going to plug and siphon the basket so I can actually get a look at the threads. I'll post a pic whenever I get it done...