Just got my TF100 XL kit. Confused.

Faust

Apr 19, 2016
Loxahatchee, FL
Hi everyone,

Just received my test kit and I wanted to an initial test of everything, but on the Pool school it says to add R0870. I don't have that in my kit. The closest I have is R0871. Is this the same thing? I have never done anything like this before. Just want to make sure I am doing it right.

Thanks!

Welcome Faust, and no it isn't.

Double check, and if you are missing it for sure, they will take good care of you immediately at TFTestKits. Just let them know, and it will be resolved quickly.

Welcome Faust, and no it isn't.

Double check, and if you are missing it for sure, they will take good care of you immediately at TFTestKits. Just let them know, and it will be resolved quickly.

Found it. Small bottle.

Here are my initial results:

FC 0
PH 7.5
CC 0
Calcium 725ppm
TA 300
CYA 58

Finally got frustrated that I keep getting algae after going to the pool store and found this site. Great stuff in here. Hoping I can get some advice on how bad off I am.

I am having trouble with the pool math. Do I add my results in the left or right column? When I am done, I click on Calculate, right? Nothing seems to be calculating. A tip here would be great!

And since I know you guys like pics, here is one of my pool. Windy day in South Florida!

20160421_131745.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully my signature shows up now.

Set your pool size. Scroll to the bottom and check your pool type (I think it defaults to plaster so from the looks of your picture you're good there) and make sure your chlorination method is correct.

Put your results on the left column fields. Put your targets (what you want the numbers to be) on the right side. The form should auto-update, but you can click "calculate" if you want to make sure.

Voila!

If you have 0 FC, that means the pool sample didn't turn pink at all when you first added the powder, right?

For pool math, you put your pool volume in (no commas).
Go to the bottom and put plaster as your type, and set the reference to troublefreepool.com

put your readings in the left column. The right column is the "target column", and this is set initially when you select TFP as I said above. You can change the target if you want, in some scenarios, but not for now.

The information to the right of the two columns will update with what you need to add to the pool. How much chlorine (depending on what type you opt for), how much acid, if needed, etc.

The high ph and ta are going to require you to keep tight control on your pH to avoid calcium scaling. Luckily your cya looks reasonable and you just need to maintain proper levels of chlorine although you may need to follow the slam process first

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow, for a pool that tests at zero chlorine, its looking pretty clear!

To use PoolMath you need to first put your pool size in gallons at the top, then scroll down to the bottom yellow area "Goal Levels" and input that your primary source of chlorine is...what?? Do you have a SWG or use liquid chlorine (aka bleach) or what?? Then you want to select that you want to use Troublefreepool.com levels, and what your pool surface is (plaster, vinyl or fiberglass). All these parameters have affect on the suggested levels of each chemistry test, as you'll see as a range in each test level. Input your own test results in the left hand "Now" column, and using the suggested levels pick a goal level to type in to the "Target" box. Fill it all out and hit "Calculate" and you'll see suggested fixes (if you need them).

Obviously the first thing for you is going to be getting chlorine in to that water! Your CYA is 60 (round up or down, no middle ground) and your chlorine should never drop below 5 with a goal of 7 (to allow for daily drop so you won't go under 5). Your TA is ridiculously high, so I question that? Your pH is fine, but if you can lower it to 7.0-7.2 repeatedly with muriatic acid, it will drag the TA down with it over time. Then you just use a fountain or method of aeration to raise the pH again. Next your calcium is really high too, but being in FL you can lower that over time with the repeated rains you get that require small drains to keep pool from overflowing. Stop using calcium products in your pool (if you are) to avoid developing calcium scale.

Wow, for a pool that tests at zero chlorine, its looking pretty clear!

To use PoolMath you need to first put your pool size in gallons at the top, then scroll down to the bottom yellow area "Goal Levels" and input that your primary source of chlorine is...what?? Do you have a SWG or use liquid chlorine (aka bleach) or what?? Then you want to select that you want to use Troublefreepool.com levels, and what your pool surface is (plaster, vinyl or fiberglass). All these parameters have affect on the suggested levels of each chemistry test, as you'll see as a range in each test level. Input your own test results in the left hand "Now" column, and using the suggested levels pick a goal level to type in to the "Target" box. Fill it all out and hit "Calculate" and you'll see suggested fixes (if you need them).

Obviously the first thing for you is going to be getting chlorine in to that water! Your CYA is 60 (round up or down, no middle ground) and your chlorine should never drop below 5 with a goal of 7 (to allow for daily drop so you won't go under 5). Your TA is ridiculously high, so I question that? Your pH is fine, but if you can lower it to 7.0-7.2 repeatedly with muriatic acid, it will drag the TA down with it over time. Then you just use a fountain or method of aeration to raise the pH again. Next your calcium is really high too, but being in FL you can lower that over time with the repeated rains you get that require small drains to keep pool from overflowing. Stop using calcium products in your pool (if you are) to avoid developing calcium scale.

Ok, PoolMath works now. Thank you! I did add 30 drops for the TA test and I have had recurring algae problems. I will monitor it. Adding bleach now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.