Pool with Spa consideration

marrtw

Apr 21, 2016
Sterling VA
Hi,

I'm putting in a new pool for the wife and the contractor specified a pool/spa combination. It's a beautiful design and my wife loves the combination. However, the spa looks VERY uncomfortable. Basically, it's a sitting shelf ringed with sharp-edged stone. I'm used to a classic hot tub where you can lay back and get more comfortable. Am I missing something? Should I ask the contractor to change the design to create a more "comfortable" spa. Looking at pictures across the web, his current design seems to be the common approach.

At this point, I'm seriously considering putting an in-ground hot tub (self-contained) next to the pool and forgetting the integrated pool/spa.

Tom

Welcome Tom,

It's a very personal choice, but this is a very common design. Nothing wrong at all with specifying what you want, and you should absolutely do that. No need to pay all that money and be the slightest bit unhappy with the design.

Agreed with Patrick. If you want to be able to lean back and stretch out your arms, and the design will be poking you with sharp rocks, it might be pretty but it's the wrong design for you! Talk to that contractor about what you want to accomplish and your options for doing so or you might end up regretting it for a lifetime.

I agree! A standalone hot tub is a lot cheaper, more efficient, more comfortable, easier to maintain, you can use it even if you close your pool, it is always hot and ready to hop in. I'm sure I could go on!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.