Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FC level vs PPM on bleach bottle

1. Back To Top    #1

Litchfield, CT

FC level vs PPM on bleach bottle

Can someone explain the different between the FC level and the warning on the bottle of bleach to not swim if bleach if more than 3ppm?

I am keeping my FC level at the recommend level and have not had any issues, but my husband is concerned with the bleach label stating that we should not swim if the bleach is higher than 3ppm.

Thank you.
    Accounting MaMa

21,500 gallons, IG, 18x36 vinyl, Pentair CCP420 Cartridge filter, Pentair IntellifloFX VS Pump, Pentair Ultra temp Heat Pump 140,000 BTU,
    Interfab G-Force 2 Slide, Pentair GloBright LED Lights, Installed 8/18/14,TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Savannah GA

Re: FC level vs PPM on bleach bottle

The container does not take into consideration the amount of CYA that is in a pool. The higher the cya the more fc you need to sanitize your water as some is locked up by cya itself.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: FC level vs PPM on bleach bottle

The 3 ppm is for water with no CYA in it. The active actual OCL- concentration is lower with some stabilizer (CYA). 2 FC with no stabilizer will bleach swimsuits rather quickly. But I've swam in water with 20 FC and 200 CYA withe no problem, eyes open underwater even.

This scholarly thread has some graphs. Note the graduations are logaritmic. Pool Water Chemistry
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!