Reconfigure Skimmers and Returns?

May 24, 2010
I am having the liner on our 20'x40' in-ground pool replaced next week, and am considering reconfiguring the skimmers and returns as long as everything is opened up.

Right now, I have just one skimmer in the middle of the 40' stretch, and a single return located on the same side as the skimmer, about 5' from the end of the pool (shallow end). Our pool service has provided a quote of $3,200 to install another skimmer and another return, and (I think) locate the returns to the opposite side of the pool from the skimmer.

Combined, the liner replacement and skimmer/return projects add up $$s. I'd appreciate thoughts on whether the skimmer/return work is worth the cost.

Also, the main drain has not worked since we bought the house 15 years ago. I suspect it was plugged intentionally after a leak. Repairing that will likely cost additional $s. And yes, I did squeeze 15 years out of our liner!

Thank you.

I'd forget about the main drain and add the additional skimmer and and the return. Add another return above that would help. Skimmers should be oriented to common wind directions. But you know now where the gunk gathers when it doesn't get skimmed.

Thank you. We have tall trees that drop debris into the deep end of the pool which is also the upwind end of the pool. Would probably make sense to place the skimmer on the side opposite from where it is.

Is it ok to have a non-functioning main drain?

Yes, it is best for skimmers to be placed downwind of the prevailing winds in fall and/or spring. A decommissioned main drain is fine, lost of folks have them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.