Learn me about Backwashing

Jeff Lebowski

May 29, 2014
Virginia Beach
Stupid question for all ye experts -

It appears to me that there is a certain black-magic regarding DE and backwashing. In other words, how much DE should I add following backwash?

My initial fill is 7 scoops. After a few hours of runtime, the filter was clogged and I backwash for approx 30 seconds. The sight glass went from brown to white to clear and I stopped. I added two scoops and ran the filter for a few hours until it clogged and repeated the process, adding 2 scoops again.

Is that correct or should I add more DE?? The pool is now clear and the filter output strong.

Many thanks!!

Each time you backwash you should recharge with 80% of the fresh fill as explained in Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters.

There can be problems if it doesn't all get washed off the grids. You don't want it to end up like this inside

P01_zpsa1b7b98e.jpg

Now that the water is clear, it would probably be a good time to do a full teardown and cleaning, and after you recharge with the full amount of DE, get a baseline clean pressure reading. Then in the future you will know when pressure climbs 25%.DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial

Richard,

MANY thanks. I don't know how I missed that when reading. Either that or my CRS is advancing much faster than my ear and nose hair are growing. I will follow your advice and clean the grids and re-DE.

I'll also read the link you posted. Thank you again for your advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.