Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Learn me about Backwashing

1. Back To Top    #1

Learn me about Backwashing

Stupid question for all ye experts -

It appears to me that there is a certain black-magic regarding DE and backwashing. In other words, how much DE should I add following backwash?

My initial fill is 7 scoops. After a few hours of runtime, the filter was clogged and I backwash for approx 30 seconds. The sight glass went from brown to white to clear and I stopped. I added two scoops and ran the filter for a few hours until it clogged and repeated the process, adding 2 scoops again.

Is that correct or should I add more DE?? The pool is now clear and the filter output strong.

Many thanks!!
    8-10,000 Gallon In Ground Pleasure Pond. Probably 15 (?) years old.
    Recently new Groovy Blue Vinyl liner. Newer Hayward DE filter and Aqua-Rite SWG system.
    Eight Passive Solar Heating Panels. 1HP single speed motor.
    Virginia Beach, VA.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Learn me about Backwashing

Good question, I'd like to know the answer as well. One thing- consider going Backwash-Rinse-Backwash-Rinse-Backwash. I noticed if I do this, it takes several backwashes before I get non-green water.
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

3. Back To Top    #3

Each time you backwash you should recharge with 80% of the fresh fill as explained in Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters.

There can be problems if it doesn't all get washed off the grids. You don't want it to end up like this inside

Now that the water is clear, it would probably be a good time to do a full teardown and cleaning, and after you recharge with the full amount of DE, get a baseline clean pressure reading. Then in the future you will know when pressure climbs 25%.DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Richard,

MANY thanks. I don't know how I missed that when reading. Either that or my CRS is advancing much faster than my ear and nose hair are growing. I will follow your advice and clean the grids and re-DE.

I'll also read the link you posted. Thank you again for your advice.
    8-10,000 Gallon In Ground Pleasure Pond. Probably 15 (?) years old.
    Recently new Groovy Blue Vinyl liner. Newer Hayward DE filter and Aqua-Rite SWG system.
    Eight Passive Solar Heating Panels. 1HP single speed motor.
    Virginia Beach, VA.