Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New year new sand??

1. Back To Top    #1

New year new sand??

Got a question I am using a jacuzzi sand filter just wondering on the life of the pool sand, how often does everyone changes it? Starting up this year slamming it seems to be taking longer to turn it blue.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: New year new sand??

Sand has been around for millions of years. In most cases it never needs changing. There are a few, very rare times, when it might be necessary if some magic potion from a pool $tore fouls it up. But I haven't read of that happening yet.

Once your sure you have the algae killed off, and you just need to take care of cloudiness, you might consider adding a little DE to your filter.

If that sounds interesting, let us know. There is a article about the process. Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Agreed, as long as the pool store hasn't sold you some goo that glued your sand together then your 3 million year old sand will last another 100 years.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Awesome, thanks guys, I started the slam yesterday and the green is improving but not very quickly. I love this forum, I bought that taylor test kit and that is the best thing to use for this.

5. Back To Top    #5

Right on! Keep SLAMing.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Make sure you're testing and re-dosing often. In the beginning stages as often as every hour or so. At the very least you should test and re-dose, four times a day.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

I have been keeping it above 25ppm, I have a 25 foot round pool 48 inch tall any idea on how long it should take??