Just found this forum and am quite new to the pol ownership

Apr 18, 2016
Ada/Mi
Hi,
I'm from Sweden but live in Michigan since 10 years. Last summer we installed our pool and this year we are looking forward to enjoy a full summer with our pool. I set out early to learn about the pool chemistry and find it troubling. For example this year we just opened the pool and since it was first time I had the pool company come out and do it for me. Everything has been going well and pool is looking fantastic. Still not to warm here in Michigan last few days but I've been monotoring my settings and checked Fc and TC morning and night to see if I could figure out the correct percentage for my chlorinator.
Here is what has happened since Monday morning without any swimmers during this whole period with exception of 2 small frogs:

4/18 Chlorinator 70%:
AM;
FC=3.69
TC=3.80
PM;
FC=4.68
TC=4.68
4/19 Chlorinator 70%:
AM;
FC=6.44
TC=6.44
At this point I decided to lower my percentage to 60%on chlorinator.
4/20 PM:
FC=7.79
TC=8.73

So now all of a sudden I have too high level of chlorine no one has been using the pool and I need to shock it??
I do not understand what I need to do to maintain a stable pool. Please help.

Hi,
Thanks for reading my post. Using Color Q7, Lamott I believe. Well I was under the impression that my CC could not be over .4ppm?
Today FC=9.89 I now changed Chlorinator to 20%
TC=reads Hi
CYA=38
CH=135
ALK=103
PH=7.4

We do not recommend the use of the ColorQ unfortunately. It has limitations (like FC < 10ppm) and often reports wildly differing results. A quick search of the forum will bring up many threads, often with frustrated owners that throw them away.

Well it is important that you measure in good light and have fresh reagents. I have been pretty satisfied with it and compared it with different pool stores readings and am getting same results basically. So that is not the problem I'm having. But thanks for your advice.

I was more curious to know if the threshold of allowed CC is the same no matter what FC level?

Well, we do not trust pool store testing either ;)

We typically say that a CC of no more than 1 drop is acceptable. This is usually 0.5ppm. But in reality, the CC should typically be much lower than that.

I certainly hope you do not get algae, because you will not be able to read the required high FC levels to clear it up with the ColorQ ... assuming you are considering learning and using our methods or course :D

Well that's the beauty of the test kits that we recommend. Only the pH is requires color matching the rest you just count a drop until a color changes.
See the test kits Link in my signature for the comparison page of test kits that we recommend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support