Calcuim Level for a Hot Tub

Ernest

Dec 24, 2015
Roanoke, VA
Hello -

I am relatively new at chemistry for hot tubs. I am somewhat confused on what is considered the ideal and also too high levels for calcium in hot tubs? I have read for example in the 'water chemistry guidelines' from the National Swimming Pool Foundation for Pool & Spa operators that I obtained from the Taylor Technologies website that the ideal range for Spas is 150-250. However I have read here that perhaps that is too high and the range is more like 120-150? I have a Caldera Palatino model hot tub which I think is an acrylic based shell and currently my CH is 200-225? Is this too high?

I appreciate any and all help on this issue.

Hello -

I am relatively new at chemistry for hot tubs. I am somewhat confused on what is considered the ideal and also too high levels for calcium in hot tubs? I have read for example in the 'water chemistry guidelines' from the National Swimming Pool Foundation for Pool & Spa operators that I obtained from the Taylor Technologies website that the ideal range for Spas is 150-250. However I have read here that perhaps that is too high and the range is more like 120-150? I have a Caldera Palatino model hot tub which I think is an acrylic based shell and currently my CH is 200-225? Is this too high?

I appreciate any and all help on this issue.
I don't think so. Many people in the US have tap water with CH higher than that. What do they expect you to do -- go buy bottled water to fill the tub?

From the sticky:
Calcium Hardness: CH is basically the amount of Calcium in your water. The lower your CH, the higher your TA and pH need to be to have balanced water. The higher your CH, the lower your TA and pH need to be. The first thing you should do is test your CH in your tub. If you haven't filled your tub yet, test your tap water for CH using a drop test kit. If you have a water softener in your house, it will remove most of the Calcium in your water. That means you may get a different reading from your indoor sink then from the outdoor hose. Check both to make sure. If you have really bad well water i.e. lots of metals etc., you may want to fill your tub using the water softener water, then just add Calcium afterward. If your water is city treated water, you may be ok straight from the hose. Also, consider getting a pre-filter that attaches to your hose, and filters out some of the metals.

Here's my recommendation. If your CH is much below 100 ppm, you should add calcium to bring it up to 130-150 range. If your CH is over 100, you can leave it alone and just make a note of what it is. The CH level will be used to determine your TA/pH levels. To raise Calcium you add Calcium Chloride, aka Calcium Increaser. You can find it at most Pool/Spa supply stores. The good news is you only need to add Calcium once per water change, because it will stay relatively the same until your next water change.

Really, the lower the better, but if it is too low the water can get foamy.

The higher the CH, and if you do not control the pH and TA, the higher the change of calcium scaling, just like in pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.