Took off the cover and this is what I found...(plus a lube Q)

May 23, 2014
SW Washington
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus

:swim: Ok my pool temp is about 65 right now so we have a ways to go. But so far so good!

My question: for lubricating O rings on the pump and filter would Dupont Teflon lubricant work?
DuPont™ Non-Stick Dry-Film Lubricant with Teflon® Fluoropolymer . It looks like it will but I just want to avoid any fatal errors here. I am just starting to hook things up so I am almost certain I will run into more questions.

I only use 100% pure silicone lube on rubber o-rings. For the most part these are non-moving seals and don't need a high performance lubricant. Think of it more as a conforming sealant and not as a lubricant. Silicone is a much better choice.

My local HD didn't have any of the Magic Lube that seems to be pretty popular. I might try Lowes or just the plain silicone. Do I need to remove all the old thread sealant and replace with new before connecting back together? I assume yes to that.
Can't wait to get filtering!

I cut my solar cover into quarters today. We tried half last year and it was still to big to handle , even difficult with two people. Hopefully this way it will get some more use. I SCRUBBED that thing with bleach water today. Took me two hours. Apparently a frog made its home in it while it was rolled up and stored under the deck. I can't unsmell that.

- - - Updated - - -

Lucky. Mine looked like a toilet stall in an Eastern European bus station.

What little water that was left on the top of the cover sure smelled like one. I underestimated how much all those small puddle put together on the cover added up to. Luckily I had my dd8 helping me. I was so afraid I was going to dump that goop in my pool! I ended up getting the cover almost off then couldn't lift off that last bit... Had to use the kids beach pale to take dump about 10 buckets. My shower was very well deserved today.

First test of the season!... I did add 128 Oz of bleach yesterday :D... There was a large frog swimming in the pool and after scooping him out I was really grossed out and made the executive decision to just dump a jug in blindly to counteract the frog cooties STAT.
FC 7
CC 0 :whoot:
PH 7.2
CH 250
TA 260
CYA <20 :(

I SHOULD have just bought the CYA from Lowes today but I didn't like their price. I was actually just amazed to find any pool stuff (then irritated by their prices) . Washington isn't exactly a jackpot for pool supplies.

Okay, not bad levels. But you will need stabilizer, so keep that in mind. Start with a CYA target of 30 ppm for now. FC is a little high, but anywhere between 4-6 is good. pH could be slightly higher I the mid 7s, but again, not bad. A little aeration can raise that for free. Or some borax. :) But you're very close all-round. Nice work. Just some minor tweaking and you'll be fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.